macbook pro track pad issues?

Reaction score
There is a MacBook pro for sale fairly close by to me and they are having issues with the track pad jumping over the screen so control is useless. it gets a bit better using a mouse but still does it somewhat. Is this a major issue or can it be fixed fairly inexpensively?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A malfunctioning trackpad is usually either caused by it actually being a faulty trackpad…or it can be a swelling battery putting pressure on the trackpad. Usually if using an external input device (mouse)…if the problem is only trackpad related…then it should go away when using the mouse.

You said the issue gets "a bit better" with a mouse. This is where things get unclear…and hard to say with certainty if the issue is major or not. The only way to be sure would be to open the computer up…and see if the battery is swollen.

- If the battery is swollen…then that could be the issue.
- If the battery is not swollen then it could be the trackpad (need to replace the trackpad).
- Worst case…we could be talking a liquid spill. And if this were the case…definitely don't want this computer.

I think that it really comes down to the price…and how much of a risk taker you are.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
its a 2014 15" MBP...and they are asking 300.00

This is way way way way way way way way too low for a 2014 15" MBP. Something is either SERIOUSLY wrong with it…or the folks selling it have no idea of its value.

If you were to purchase it…and something was majorly wrong…you should be able to sell it for at least $300 as a parts computer.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
This is way way way way way way way way too low for a 2014 15" MBP. Something is either SERIOUSLY wrong with it…or the folks selling it have no idea of its value.

If you were to purchase it…and something was majorly wrong…you should be able to sell it for at least $300 as a parts computer.

- Nick

That's what I was thinking too. It still works so I cant see it being something seriously wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.