Macbook pro to Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Is it possible for me to use an older Macbook pro (mid 2009) AS a second display for a new 2015 Macbook Pro? Both are running latest version of Yosemite.The 2009 MBP has Firewire, Mini Display Port, and USB ports. The 2015 has Thunderbolt, HDMI, and USB. I was trying to get Target Display Mode to work, but I probably don't have the right connection. Does a Thunderbolt to USB adapter exist, and would it allow for the older MBP be an external monitor for the newer MBP - USB to Thunderbolt adapter to Thunderbolt port on newer MBP and main computer?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As far as I can tell the 2009 MacBook Pro doesn't have a video input connection so I think that's out as a means of using it as a second display. The only thing I can think of to do this is ScreenRecycler.

I used it several years ago and it worked pretty well. It was a little slow but my two computers were on a very slow wireless network. The demo is free and lasts about 20 minutes so it might be worth a shot to see if it meets your needs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the free trial, and it wasn't as smooth as I had hoped. It would be doable, but it didn't quite get the resolution right to be in full screen mode. I played with it a little bit and got it close.

Through more research, I did come across Air Display in the Mac App Store. It was pretty easy to set up if you follow the directions. It is smoother than Screen Recycler, but still not 100% perfect, but that's what I would expect working through wireless connection to extend a display. More importantly, it picked up on the correct resolution for full screen, and is a little faster.

So, I'll work with this, but I still think there has got to be a way to work through physical connection between the two Macbook Pros. I've read a lot of articles about Thunderbolt and Mini-Display Port, but I've not gotten it straight if connecting a Thunderbolt cable between the two MBPs will actually work. It sounds like it works for a Monitor. I just want to be sure before I go throw some more money on a Thunderbolt cable that I may not end up using - at least in the short-medium time frame.

Thanks again.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but I still think there has got to be a way to work through physical connection between the two Macbook Pros. I've read a lot of articles about Thunderbolt and Mini-Display Port, but I've not gotten it straight if connecting a Thunderbolt cable between the two MBPs will actually work.

If the idea is to use the 2009 MacBook Pro as the external display…that's not going to work. The mini-display port on the 2009 is a video out only (not video in). But regardless. To the best of my knowledge…even if you had two 2015 MacBook Pro's (both with Thunderbolt ports)…it still wouldn't work.

As far as a hardware solution between to Apple computers goes…as far as I know...only newer iMac's have both a video in and a video out port. So only newer iMac's can be used as an external display if needed (from a hardware solution perspective).

Just doesn't work that way. If you need an external monitor…get an external monitor.:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The mini displayport is a video output, not a video input. You will waste your money buying a cable for that purpose.

OP
D
Reaction score
Understood. Thanks for the feedback. I upgraded to a 2015 MacBook Pro and didn't want to just toss my old one aside especially if it was possible to use as a second monitor for my new MBP - without having to purchase a whole other Monitor/Display. I figured if I had it and could use it for that, great. If not, then I would think if it was worth purchasing a separate monitor to have dual displays - and frankly, if I could convince my wife to purchase a secondary monitor considering we just bought and moved into a new house.

Just thought I would check if any other DIY thoughts out there. Air Display through Mac App Store seems to be good enough for now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.