MacBook Pro Retina locks using HDMI to Vizio

Reaction score
Brand new MacBook Pro Retina 16/512 w/ GT 750 graphics and a 42" Vizio M-series M422i-B1 (also new).
Plugging into any HDMI port on the Vizio locks up the MacBook, requiring holding down the power key to restart. Multiple HDMI cables tried and same set-up works fine with a new 13" MacBook Pro Retina.

I returned one computer but the second one is showing the same problems. Anything I should look for in error messages. The original computer worked at the Genius Bar on HDMI, but crashed and showed a video problem.

Thanks for any ideas or comments.

Reaction score
Same exact issue here. One time it randomly worked, but then after switching inputs it stopped working again.

Same tv, using a 15" 2012 rMBP, OS X 10.10.2 pre release

Works perfectly fine with my other TV

C

chas_m

Based on the two reports, sounds like an issue with that particular Vizio, or possibly with the discreet video card (which I think you may both have) on the MBP. Have you tried connecting up the MBP first while the TV is still off and then switch the TV on? Does that make a difference?

Reaction score
Based on the two reports, sounds like an issue with that particular Vizio, or possibly with the discreet video card (which I think you may both have) on the MBP. Have you tried connecting up the MBP first while the TV is still off and then switch the TV on? Does that make a difference?

Same result if TV is off. Also if I attempt to boot the MBP while the HDMI cable is plugged in, the loading bar gets stuck.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, I get the same result when the computer is off and restarts: locks while loading.

Since the same set-up (Vizio & cable) works fine with a new 13" MacBook Pro Retina, I was thinking it was the MBP discreet video card.

I was really hoping HDMI would work, and I'm considering returning the new computer while there is still time -- love it otherwise.

OP
J
Reaction score
If I plug an adaptor for HDMI into one of the mini-ports, I can get video through HDMI, but no audio.

It's interesting that when I plug directly into the HDMI port and the screen freezes with the pointer locked that audio will keep playing (if I have a streaming video playing).

I think I'm going to take the problem to the Genius Bar again if I can get an appointment.

OP
J
Reaction score
No solution for me. I did figure out that the mini-port to HDMI adaptor works fine (including audio), but plugging in the HDMI cable directly to the HDMI port on the MacBook Pro locks up the video -- I have to press the power key to restart. The audio goes right on playing as I mentioned earlier. I went back and tried it again since I thought there might have been at up-date to the OS (although I may be confusing this with the iOS and iTunes up-dates) that would solve the problem.

My partial solution is to use the adaptor for HDMI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.