Macbook Pro Retina (early 2015) Safari vs. Microsoft Silverlight installation

Reaction score
Hi all - I was trying to watch an Amazon Prime video and got the message that Silverlight needed updating, which I did. Then it told me Silverlight wasn't installed. I have tried various remedies, including uninstalling and reinstalling with no change to the message. Apple Support can't help (beyond making sure I had uninstalled/reinstalled correctly) because it's a Microsoft product. Microsoft can't help because I'm using an Apple
OS x:Not-Amused:. I tried downloading WineBottler, intending to use Microsoft Internet Explorer, but wasn't sure if that would support Silverlight (and, anyway, I received a message saying "the programme regsvr32.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close” which alarmed me somewhat.). I am a relative newbie to Apple products, as well as a self-confessed tech idiot:[. Is anyone able to help (in simple ABC language!)....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Can I assume you are running El Capitan? I suggest you download Chrome - that is what I use and I have no issues. Chrome handles silverlight content differently and hopefully this will work for you.

BTW: Any .EXE application will not run on a Mac - although I assume you are trying to run it in WineBottler. I have not had any experience with it as it is more popular among the Linux crowd.

And Welcome to the forum!

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh dear:[ - that was SOOOOOO simple!!! Thank you so much Lisa.....I'm off to watch a film!!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Glad it worked! :D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.