Macbook Pro replacement?

Reaction score
Hey guys, my first post!

Basically I have an Apple care protection plan for my Macbook Pro. This one has a CoreDuo in it, and I've been having some problems...

1. Sound is goofy, sometimes I turn off the volume but it's still on.
2. Often shuts down or freezes with a black screen.
3. Speakers sometimes sound blown out.

So, if I take it in and ask for repairs/replacement, will they give me a Core 2 Duo? Or just another Core Duo?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would imagine they'd repair it or replace it with an identical unit.

I find that on the occasion where my MBP acts funky (shut down problems, etc), resetting the PRAM usually fixes things. You can try that by shutting the machine down, turning it on and holding Command-Option-P+R until you hear 3 system chimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
I think they'll do whatever they can to fix the current problems before they hand over a brand new upgraded computer to you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think they'll do whatever they can to fix the current problems before they hand over a brand new upgraded computer to you.

I would tend to agree with that sentiment. Chances are your existing machine can be repaired - especially if it's just a power management issue and/or a physical problem with your speakers. While not the easiest machine to service, it can indeed be repaired by a competent professional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
theyll try and fix it. if they cant (which they should be able to), theyll replace it. probably with a CD. there have been instances of people getting c2d as replacements, but those have been few and far between (for people with 100's of problems).

truley, i would never expect apple to replace my CD with a c2d, unless the couldnt do it any other way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.