Macbook pro not charging

Reaction score
My early 2011 Macbook Pro is not charging. It is being powered by the mains but remains at the same percentage and when clicking on the charge icon it states "battery is not charging".

I have tried an SMC reset but the problem remained. I also took it to the Genius bar, they tried a different charging adapter/lead but the problem remained. They said it is likely to be either a faulty battery or a problem with the magsafe board. On the system report it says that my battery's condition is normal and the cycle count is 211.

Is there anything further I can do to determine what the problem is? I have looked up how to replace a magsafe board and might do it if required but I understand it will involve removing the keyboard ribbon from the logic board which I know from experience is very fiddly to reconnect!

Any help would be gratefully received, thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Your battery appears to be in good condition so I would have to agree with the Apple store genius that it's likely the MagSafe input board that may be defective. It could also be faulty logic on the main board (logic board) but since the MagSafe input board is easy to change out and not expensive, I would try that first. Check out the procedure at www.ifixit.com. The board is available from suppliers on eBay and also www.powerbookmedic.com.

OP
W
Reaction score
Many thanks, I think I will try replacing the magsafe board and see if that resolves the issue.

OP
W
Reaction score
An update to this, I replaced the magsafe board and when I turned everything on the Macbook was not even picking up the mains power.

So, I reverted back to the old Magsafe board, and everything miraculously started working-the Macbook picked up the mains power and also started charging the battery!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess all is well that ends well. It sounds like you did not get the correct MagSafe board or the one you purchased was defective. Glad to hear you got it working again. Forgot to mention before to check the connectors very closely. Sometimes they pick up bits of magnetic material which can prevent it from working properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.