macbook pro new ssd install

Reaction score
Hi,

as a newbie I have a question about installing snow leopard o/s on to a brand new SSD.

I am considering buying a Macbook Pro on ebay and have seen several with faulty or no Hard drives.

What do I need to do to install the operating system on the blank SSD?

It is just a matter of buying the relevant install DVD's?

thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Assuming you know what you are doing and need Snow Leopard, you can grab a copy of it here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for the advice.
Having watched the youtube video it assumes you have a fully working macbook and can go on line etc.
In my case I am looking at dipping my toe in the water with a cheap used macbook that comes without a hard drive and loading the operating system via DVD only.
So I wont be able to go on line and follow the initial instructions.
If this is a silly idea please tell me and I will not be offended, honestly.
Can you load an operating system from scratch on a macbook that comes without the existing hard drive or any hard drive at all, or is this not allowed?
thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two questions:

1. Please answer the question above regarding needing to install Snow Leopard.
2. Let us know exactly what model MacBook or MacBook Pro this is.

Can you load an operating system from scratch on a macbook that comes without the existing hard drive or any hard drive at all...

Yes it is possible...but can't answer this question for sure without knowing answers to the questions.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You would need to get a MacBook Pro from early 2011, or before. You might be able to get a late 2011 MacBook Pro, to work with Snow Leopard, but it's not a guarantee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So I wont be able to go on line and follow the initial instructions.
Depends on how old this used Mac is. Some more recent ones have the ability to boot from online and download the operating system they came installed with in the first place. Here is Apple's article on it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Internet recovery is discussed at the bottom of the article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Depends on how old this used Mac is. Some more recent ones have the ability to boot from online and download the operating system they came installed with in the first place. Here is Apple's article on it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Internet recovery is discussed at the bottom of the article.
To add to what MacInWin said, a Late 2011 MacBook Pro, or later, will all have the ability for Internet Recovery, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314 (towards the bottom of page), which will connect to Apple's Servers, and download the original Mac OS X/OS X/macOS version associated with that specific model MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly the info was hoping to get from the OP once we know model info (Internet Recovery possible on some models).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi,
thanks for the advice.
I am looking at buying a 13 inch Macbook and going for a model from 2010 onwards.
Up until now I have owned and upgraded PC's only and own 2 chromebooks (that cannot be upgraded) and wanted to enter the world of Macbooks.
So I wanted to try a Macbook for up to £250 to £300 and am tempted by several offers on ebay, such as the Macbook Pro 13 inch from mid 2010.
Does this seem sensible or will I be disappointed performance wise?
I a not going for fancy video editing but viewing youtube, searches via google, ebay, Amazon shopping, emails etc
I done want to be viewing stuttering youtube videos.
Sorry if this sounds a bit sad but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds for features and performance I wont be using.
So should I be considering Macbooks at all?
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am looking at buying a 13 inch Macbook and going for a model from 2010 onwards.
Up until now I have owned and upgraded PC's only and own 2 chromebooks (that cannot be upgraded) and wanted to enter the world of Macbooks.
So I wanted to try a Macbook for up to £250 to £300 and am tempted by several offers on ebay, such as the Macbook Pro 13 inch from mid 2010.

So should I be considering Macbooks at all?

A quick FYI. There are both MacBooks & MacBook Pro's (seperate computer lines). When you say "MacBook/MacBooks"...we can only assume "MacBooks" and not "MacBook Pro's".

HTH.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My advice would be to try to get your hands on a 2011 or later 13" MacBook Pro. I cannot imagine why you would want to run the now unsupported (no online security) and antiquated Snow Leopard OSX 10.6 released around 2009. Is there some reason you want to run this version or is it because it comes as a DVD? If so be aware that you will need the disks that came with the device (grey colour) not the retail version, that wont work.
Any seller should erase the hard drive and reinstal the original OSX leaving the device with the Setup Wizard ready for the next person to personalize the device.
If they have not done that don't buy it because you may be unable to deauthorize the device from iTunes or erase it without access to thier user name and passwords. If they have done that you can upgrade the OS to the current High Sierra 10.13 from the App Store after setting up your own Apple ID.
I can see that you are trying to minimize costs which is fair enough and the Mid-2010 Macbook Pro is the oldest supported Macbook Pro for the High Sierra update so don't go back any further than that.
If you were to buy a MBP without a HDD it would be very difficult to confirm if it works at all. Still if you want to go that way I'm sure there would be a local mac repairer who would be willing to install an operating system on it if you buy a HDD or SSD from them. It's a simple enough process and even I have several macOSX installers of different versions for repair purposes.
Let us know your thoughts on this. We're happy to provide any info you might need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If so be aware that you will need the disks that came with the device (grey colour) not the retail version, that wont work.
This is not true. The retail/white disk will work.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
White disk? I didn't know there was a retail white disk. I have a retail disk from that era and it has a picture of a Snow Leopard printed on the disk like a retail music CD, I thought that was the only type, I stand corrected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White disk? I didn't know there was a retail white disk. I have a retail disk from that era and it has a picture of a Snow Leopard printed on the disk like a retail music CD, I thought that was the only type, I stand corrected.
I may be wrong, about the disk being white part, I'm used to seeing the packaging, from referring people to the order Snow Leopard disc page, https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard, but the retail disk, will work for any Mac that will run Snow Leopard.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The retail Snow Leopard disk is white with a picture of the venerable Snow Leopard on the face side of the disk. The Snow Leopard disk set that came with my 2011 iMac was silver and specifically for my model iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.