macbook pro new hard drive installation problem

Reaction score
I tried to install a new hard drive for Macbook pro bought in 2012. During formatting, the partition process seems going forever even left on overnight. What could be the problem? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried to install a new hard drive for Macbook pro bought in 2012. During formatting, the partition process seems going forever even left on overnight. What could be the problem? Thanks.

Something's not right then. When installing a new hard drive, it should be partitioned as one partition GUID scheme and then formatted for Mac OS Extended Journaled.

How about telling us which version of OS X you're using? In other words, are you installing the new hard drive using an install DVD or recovery partition?

OP
J
Reaction score
I did exactly that (one partition and GUID). I used "internet recovery" function to download the boot system. The OS X version should be mountain lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've honestly never used Internet Recovery since I keep an installable copy of my current version of OS X on an external boot drive. However, other users have reported long installation times using Internet Recovery. Even at that, it shouldn't take that long to format and install Mountain Lion. You might want to try again. If you have another Mac, you may be better off downloading Mountain Lion to it and then use the installable file to make an installation flash drive. You would need a flash drive of at least 8 GB in size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.