Macbook Pro MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-867 drive issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 200GB
I am not quite sure whether this is the correct place to ask, but i hope it is!

i recently locked my macbook pro's dvd drive and thought i can make it region free, but i have searched the whole internet and couldn't find a version for my dvd drive
MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-867

can someone give me some kind of suggestion?

thanks heaps!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Use VLC for watching your DVDs, then you have no worry about possibly bricking your drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook, 2.1Ghz C2D, 1GB RAM, 500Gb HDD, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
Use VLC for watching your DVDs, then you have no worry about possibly bricking your drive.

does vlc make your drive region free? i had a region changing software and changed it to america to watch a few films whilst i was away because my region free dvd player was at home, i ended up changing back to australia with my "last chance" as i only had a few changes left,

if i use vlc can i still watch american dvd's on a now R4 drive?

C

chas_m

does vlc make your drive region free?

No. It uses its own engine to play DVDs and that engine couldn't care less what region your DVD (or your drive) is.

if i use vlc can i still watch american dvd's on a now R4 drive?

Yes.

Just set the preference for DVDs to open VLC instead of DVD player. That's basically it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.