MacBook Pro lost start up disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 16GB RAM 500GB SSD OS 10.9.5; iPhone 6
Hello. We've a malfunctioning 2012 MacBook Pro 9,2. OS 10.10.x, 16 GB RAM, 2.9GHz Core i7, 13 inch screen. This was bought Feb 2015 refurbished from OWC.

The MacBook Pro is unable to find the start up disk and swapping out for a new mac mini drive did not help. Here's the details:

My son was online when he seemed to lose his connection--his browser stopped working. He clicked on the wifi/airport icon in the finder bar and the beachball started. He was unable to do anything so he forced the Mac to shut down. Upon restarting it no longer could find the startup disk--we get the flashing question mark.

Starting up holding the option key brings up OS X Utilities but Disk Utility couldn't find the hard drive either. So, I swapped out the hard drive with another I had on hand (from a brand new mac mini), same results. Now, a day later, OS X Utilities sees the new HD but can do nothing with it.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how I might fix it? I'm really hoping this is not a lost cause after only 4 months of use. Thank you for any help, ideas, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is no doubt a defective hard drive (original purchase). Did you try to contact OWC support to see if there was any warranty on the Mac? They usually give a warranty on the refurbished models they sell. I'm not sure of how long they warrant them for but I suspect it's 90 days. In any event you need to replace the defective hard drive, use the utilities from Recovery to format the new hard drive and then download and reinstall OS X from Apple.

(You must format and prepare a hard drive before it can be used.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What did OWC say when you contacted them?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OWC hasn't responded, yet. We are just 30 days past the 90 day warranty (doesn't that just figure?).

The HD that I swapped was brand new from a mac mini formatted and used for a very short time in an old MacBook before I upgraded him to the refurbished MacBookPro. I expected the Mac to be able to read this new HD without issue but it did not. I'm going to take another crack at it tonight.

But so far, it just sounds like a HD problem, correct? There's no way it's something more serious/a more expensive part gone bad?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The HD that I swapped was brand new from a mac mini formatted and used for a very short time in an old MacBook before I upgraded him to the refurbished MacBookPro.

This is a little bit confusing. Sounds like this hard drive has been used in three different computers:

- Mac-Mini
- MacBook
- MacBook Pro

My question is (just so it's clear)…what OS is installed on this hard drive?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a little bit confusing. Sounds like this hard drive has been used in three different computers:

- Mac-Mini
- MacBook
- MacBook Pro

My question is (just so it's clear)…what OS is installed on this hard drive?

- Nick

Sorry for the confusion! I try to be as thorough as possible but sometimes bits get forgotten anyway.

My son had an older MacBook (white) when I purchased a new Mac Mini. I placed a new SSD HD in my Mini and put the Mini's HD that I replaced into his MacBook (white), formatted and upgraded him to Yosemite. He used this for a short time before he got the refurbished--and currently ailing--MacBook Pro. He has been using the HD that came in that computer and I upgraded that HD to Yosemite, also. So the OS on both drives in question is 10.10.x (I can't recall which third number/update either HD was on, and they may be different). I had kept the HD from his white MacBook (originally new with the Mini) as an external drive for his HD backups. Thus I thought it should work easily as a HD replacement when this refurbished MacBookPro lost it's startup disk.

Does that make the HD swapping clearer?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the reply from OWC:

Since the unit was running Yosemite 10.10.x at some point, the original drive should have a Recovery partition, and should be bootable from an Internet Recovery partition.
Hold down Opt-Cmd-r (for Internet Recovery) while starting the MacBook Pro. This will bring up the Recovery menu, and if the original drive does not show up in Disk Utility there the disk is probably gone.
If the original disk does show up, try to verify the physical disk and verify permissions on the partition. This is also the place where a fresh copy of Yosemite could be installed if needs be.
If the Internet Recovery partition will not come up, there may be something that a technician would need to see directly. You may wish to contact a local Apple authorized service provider (which is not necessarily an Apple store): https://locate.apple.com/ We do full reconditions and installation of accessories; we are not listed as a service center. It is odd that the behavior continued after swapping drives.

This is what I had already attempted. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get Recovery to come up on the screen but when it does Disk Utility could not see the HD. So, I swapped the HD's and tried this again. The first time Disk Utility did see but couldn't seem to do anything with the new HD (to be clear, that means the HD originally from a Mini but used in a white MacBook described above). It was late so I turned it off in frustration hoping tomorrow would be a better day. Today, Disk Utility (accessed via Internet Recovery) does not even see the HD at all.

Disk Utility not seeing this rather new (the Mini was purchased late last year, used in the white MacBook a few months) HD is what makes me worry something is wrong beyond the HD itself. But, have no idea what that would be.

Thank you for reading.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the SATA cable which attaches the hard drive to the controller on the logic board is defective. That particular cable is usually recommended to be replaced when replacing the hard drive in older MacBook and MacBook Pro machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It sounds like the SATA cable which attaches the hard drive to the controller on the logic board is defective. That particular cable is usually recommended to be replaced when replacing the hard drive in older MacBook and MacBook Pro machines.

+1!!

Those 2011 and especially the 2012 MacBook Pros were notorious for a bad and damaged SATA cable, often due to abrasion from the rough machining on the inside of the case.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You need to consider the SATA cable may have been the problem from the start especially if the original drive works in another enclosure. Perhaps you could check that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I 100% agree with previous posts re the hard drive cable failure. Out of all the non Retina 13" MacBook Pro's the 2012 model appears to have the highest cable failure rate. Why it fails is a mystery that probably only Apple knows, there is no rough machining causing the problem. Apple did attempt to resolve it by adding a small piece of black foam to the top of the hard drive clamp, I suspect to stop the bottom case from pushing down on the cables 90% bend where it goes over the edge of the optical drive, but it didn't make any noticeable difference. I see the cable causing more than 50% of what appears to be hard drive problems. Many times a failing cable will also corrupt the hard drive requiring Disk Warrior to rectify.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all for the SATA cable info. I will try that next because, yes, the HD seems to work fine as an external drive. I placed it into an enclosure, plugged in to the Mini and read and copied from it without issue. I'm disappointed that OWC didn't suggest anything beyond what I had already told them I tried.

Replacing the SATA cable will be a new task for me so any helpful tips are appreciated.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looked up the process at iFixit and it seems pretty straight forward. I've ordered the part and will post my results. Thanks, again! And, fingers crossed :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A heartfelt thank you to all that gave their .02 in this thread! Received and replaced the HD cable last night and all seems to be working well (with the original HD).

For anyone that searches this thread with a similar issue: the fix was pretty easy, not much more to it than swapping a hard drive. The part cost about $50 and I found several good tutorials online.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Glad to hear the fix worked well, and thanks for the feedback.

And maybe now it's better than new??? ;) :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Laura:

For anyone that searches this thread with a similar issue: the fix was pretty easy, not much more to it than swapping a hard drive. The part cost about $50 and I found several good tutorials online.

Well done. I believe you can get the SATA cables for less than $50 but sometimes it's not worth the headache trying to shop around. The folks on eBay generally carry those types of parts for a lot less. Something to keep in mind for your next repair. ;D

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Don't forget to pread a little credit around with the Thumbs Up icon (top right of each reply) and congratulations on a successful fix

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Laura:

Well done. I believe you can get the SATA cables for less than $50 but sometimes it's not worth the headache trying to shop around. The folks on eBay generally carry those types of parts for a lot less. Something to keep in mind for your next repair. ;D

I never shop ebay. Honestly, it always seems a little risky but I know some people love it. Do you have specific ebay people/shops that you frequent or do you just purchase from any user? Have most of your transactions been positive?

(And, yes, to the poster who mentioned it--I already hit all the upward thumbs:) )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.