MacBook Pro Keyboard Problem

Reaction score
MacBook Pro (late 2010) with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

The machine is working fine apart from an annoying problem with my keyboard. A few of the keys are producing different letters or symbols. Most annoyingly, the space bar is producing /. Also, I have a big problem with caps lock. It sometimes comes on automatically and I can't switch it off.

I have read forums and some advice on the web. I went into the keyboard options but nothing helped. I tried a NVRAM reset but that was useless. I also verified and repaired permissions but I still have the same problem. Any ideas?

I am considering updating my system to Lion but would that sort out the existing problem? Do I need to check for viruses? Are there any programs that might help me?

I am not near an Apple store so for the next few months I am on my own, I think.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to replace that keyboard or use an external USB keyboard until you have a chance to replace it. Instructions for replacing it yourself can be found at www.ifixit.com. You can probably buy an exact replacement keyboard from eBay.

OP
S
Reaction score
You need to replace that keyboard or use an external USB keyboard until you have a chance to replace it. Instructions for replacing it yourself can be found at www.ifixit.com. You can probably buy an exact replacement keyboard from eBay.

The external USB keyboard works fine. What is wrong with my keyboard exactly? Do you know how much it would cost to replace my keyboard at the Mac store?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The external USB keyboard works fine. What is wrong with my keyboard exactly? Do you know how much it would cost to replace my keyboard at the Mac store?

The keyboard is likely worn out from normal use - it happens. Unless of course you spilled liquid on the keyboard at one time or other and haven't told us? I don't know how much Apple would charge to replace the keyboard but it's likely not going to be cheap. Take it on in and ask them. Diagnostics and estimates are free at an Apple Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The external USB keyboard (KB) works fine. What is wrong with my keyboard exactly? Do you know how much it would cost to replace my keyboard at the Mac store?

Hi Simon... - as suggested, your KB is likely defective and needs replacement - but out of curiosity, when did this start happening and has there been any damage to the KB, such as liquid spills - please be honest; if so, then simply verifies that the malfunction is likely permanent.

Now, your laptop is going on 6 years old, so not sure if Apple would want to even do an evaluation and cost estimate? Plus, we do not know where you are located? If you do not want to try a repair yourself w/ the link already given, then find a local reputiable 'Apple' repair shop that can give you a replacement estimate. Good luck - Dave :)

P.S. Oops - Chscag beat me to the draw, but the 'bottom line' is that you need to get an estimate.

OP
S
Reaction score
I am presently in the middle of nowhere in the Middle East and not close to an Apple store. When I go to Kuwait, I may check out what it would cost to repair.

No, I have never split anything on the keyboard and taken care of the laptop.

Thanks for all the information.

PS You recommended a USB keyboard. Would a wireless/bluetooth keyboard still work okay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am presently in the middle of nowhere in the Middle East and not close to an Apple store. When I go to Kuwait, I may check out what it would cost to repair.

PS You recommended a USB keyboard. Would a wireless/bluetooth (BT) keyboard still work okay?

I've not used Snow Leopard (your OS X), but assume that in System Preferences, there are BT & KB icons that should allow you to easily setup a bluetooth keyboard - take a look at the YouTube video link below - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.