Macbook Pro Issues

Reaction score
After upgrading to Yosemite a few days ago, Google Chrome started "breaking up" on screen. By that I mean, the screen became like a fast moving venetian blind, rolling up from bottom to top.My computer also slowed down considerably, so I did a clean reinstall of Yosemite. Things have improved and I am now using Safari rather than Chrome. However, when I went to the App Store today, the graphics at the top of the page started breaking up into a similar venetian blind rapid rolling. I have run Disk Utility and it says the hard drive is ok, but I suspect this old computer of mine might be on the way out!!! Any feedback or suggestions welcomed. PS: The problem is also happening with Airmail 2. Definitely something to do with the graphics display.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After upgrading to Yosemite a few days ago, Google Chrome started "breaking up" on screen.

So many folks are blaming issues on "just upgraded to Yosemite". If Yosemite is the issue…then downgrade back to the OS version was was on the computer…and things should be fine.:)

Problem is (many times)…Yosemite is not the issue…the issue is a coincidental hardware failure.

So you can test the Yosemite theory & downgrade to the previous OS to see if the issue disappears. Or unfortunately accept that this may be a hardware issue.

- Nick

p.s. If you post a screenshot…maybe we can see if it looks like a hardware failure.

OP
Q
Reaction score
MacBook Pro Issues

I wasn't "blaming" Yosemite, I was simply supplying the context. I accept it may have been coincidental but I thought it made sense to explain all the circumstances. I have tried to capture a screen shot but even with a rapid fire Command/Shift/3 I can't capture the rolling effect. Each screen shot comes up clean - frustrating.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about supplying some information about your Mac? Year and model? And it does sound like you may have a problem with graphics but without additional info it's difficult to provide answers.

OP
Q
Reaction score
MacBook Pro Issues

Thanks for your response. I'm not exactly sure of the year of my computer as it was handed down to me from my son. But I think it is a 2010 model. About This Mac says it is a MacBook Pro6,2 with a Intel Core 17 processor. In respect of my issues, the graphics roll occurs in Chrome, Airmail 2 and the App Store. Safari seems fine. I can still use Airmail but I have to wait until it stabilises. I tried again to capture a screenshot but no luck. Even though I clicked when there was a visual disturbance, it doesn't capture the distortion. Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Mactracker says it's a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with the core i7 CPU. However, I suggest you first test the machine to determine if it's a graphics problem or a software error. The best way to do that is attach an external monitor or TV to the machine to see if the same error occurs on the screen of the external monitor or TV. You will need an adapter and cable in order to run that test. Let us know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wasn't "blaming" Yosemite, I was simply supplying the context. I accept it may have been coincidental but I thought it made sense to explain all the circumstances. I have tried to capture a screen shot but even with a rapid fire Command/Shift/3 I can't capture the rolling effect. Each screen shot comes up clean - frustrating.

I think many folks reading the first post would come to the conclusion I did…Yosemite was being mentioned for the problem. Otherwise why mention the "just upgraded to Yosemite" part?? Definitely tell us Yosemite is installed on your MBP…but the "just upgraded" part doesn't need to be mentioned if the upgrade to Yosemite isn't being suggested as the cause of the issue.:)

Ok…fine you're not blaming Yosemite.:) Then what you want to find out is...if it's a software or hardware issue. In addition to what chscag mentioned…you can boot the computer from an external HD with any compatible OS for your MBP installed on it. If the problems persist…you have a hardware problem (video hardware/logic board). If the problem disappears…it's a software issue.

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Nick, you ask why did I mention the Yosemite install, if I wasn't suggesting it might be the cause of the problem. A the risk of repeating myself I was not "blaming" Yosemite. It was all about context. Any time I have posted here, those trying to help ask for as much information as possible. So, that is what I did.Nick, at the risk of upsetting you, I would suggest you lose the attitude. Not helpful on a site like this where many of us seek help because we are not computer nerds.. Anyway, you will be pleased to know it wasn't Yosemite. The kind people at Apple have just replaced my hard drive free of charge, and their attitude was professional and helpful!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.