Macbook pro GPU?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook pro late-2016 2.9 ghz, 4 gb radeon gpu

I’ll explain the problem:

I made a bootcamp partition for windows to test the gaming experience with mac.

I installed an official game from steam, it seems running fast for the first days (the fan was running at max, seemed weird)

After some days the game starts glitching, it seems a gpu problem, it started freezing and windows kept restarting. I reinstalled from bootcamp and i had the same issue. the mac screen started flickering, and showing weird colors. Then i switched to OSX and it seems to be weird too. I decided to delete the bootcamp: the process has succeed. Then i restart the mac, and after restarting, white (after restarting again - in a different colors) regular vertical lines are appeared. The main problem is that i cannot login in to OSX, the loading line freezes at the middle. I tried all what i can, i recovered my mac and the issue didn’t disappeare, i also tried reset pram nvram. The weirdest thing si that i tried to do the diagnostics, by using apple diagnostic software, and it says that there are no issues...
What it could be? i suppose that GPU is failed, or you think is a software problem? I know that apple replaces all the logic board, will apple covers this gpu failure? in case of not, i know that it’s so expensive, some suggestions?

Thank you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. You need to know that this site is about to close. You can read about it here: http://www.mac-forums.com/news-and-community-announcements/344599-mac-forums-shutting.html

As for your problem, if the system is under warranty they should replace whatever has failed. Your best bet is to take it back to Apple to have them do more extensive testing on it. The fact the fans ran at max for a couple of days is a sign that it was working very hard. Steam is a graphic intensive app, and gaming adds to that burden, so it may well be that the GPU has overheated and exposed some weakness in it. Have Apple check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.