MacBook Pro (Early 2015) Trackpad issues

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been having an issue lately with my Macbook where the trackpad & keyboard stop working after the computer comes out of sleep (and now shutdown occasionally). I've had this issue before and got the topcase replaced since the technicians didn't know the cause. This suggests to me it may be a software problem, but wanted to know if anyone has encountered this previously and has a solution. I've tried a SMC reset and it doesn't seem to solve the issue, at least not permanently.

Spec:

Macbook Pro Retina Early 2015
macOS Sierra version 10.12.6
Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3

I would love and ideas/help on this. It's really irritating. Let me know if there is anything else missing that would be helpful!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This suggests to me it may be a software problem, but wanted to know if anyone has encountered this previously and has a solution.

Try downloading & installing the maintenance app called Onyx. Just click on the "automation" button & let it do it's work. Don't change the default settings.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
I tried it out, but still no luck! After some digging I've read that these models have a tendency to have poor trackpad cables - do you think that could be the issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I tried it out, but still no luck! After some digging I've read that these models have a tendency to have poor trackpad cables - do you think that could be the issue?

If this is true...it would be a rare issue...since we do not commonly hear of members having trackpad issues related to a trackpad cable manufacturing defect. Can cables go bad...sure. But it is not common for the trackpad cable to go bad in 2015 MacBook Pro's.

It was mentioned in post #1 that the topcase was replaced...and did not solve the issue. And some software troubleshooting has been done (SMC Reset, ran Onyx). You could also try a PRAM reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.