macbook pro early 2011

Reaction score
i didn't want to star a new post but I have spent an hour searching for my problem no luck.

The laptop was working before i rented a storage place and place it there for 3 months (very hot during summer days). When i took it out, the battery is not recognized, also some of the keys don't respond. The laptop works fine with an external keyboard. I took the battery out and charged it in another similar laptop, place it back still "no battery"
MagSafe or logic board?
Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that the battery swelled while in storage and damaged the keyboard. It's also possible that the MagSafe board was damaged from the heat which would affect the battery. Not sure how to advise you here since your machine is more than 6 years old. I guess it depends on how much you're willing to spend to repair it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you placed your battery in the other MBP, did you test the other battery, in your MBP?

OP
N
Reaction score
thank you for the replies.
To the first answer i used the same battery in another identical laptop, it had no swelling, it charged and I worked with it for an hour.
it is possible according to my research to be a defective MagSafe board, which i have bought one already.
2nd answer. Only one battery used, the original in my laptop and same in the other laptop. When i put it back same as before no battery detected.
I have already reset the PRAM, SMC.

My concern is the logic board but not sure since everything else works. I will not repair it. Right now I can use the laptop with an external keyboard and i will forget about the battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thing is...a mag-safe board or logic board shouldn't go bad after three months sitting unused in a storage unit. It should exit the storage unit pretty much the same as it went in.

Apple has min. & max. operating temperatures for computers (which mostly only count for while the computer is in operation)...not powered down. Lead-free solder (which Apple uses)...melts at over 400°F. I don't think the storage unit got that hot!;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks pigoo3. since it was suggested that because of the storage the MagSafe board could be bad and replaced it. same situation.
i have bought a new battery when i get and the laptop works great otherwise it will mean the logic board. and that will be as far as i will go.

OP
N
Reaction score
i got a new battery but the laptop doesn't start. if i disconnect the battery and then start laptop is running. i connect the battery but still "no battery" seen.
When i turn the laptop off, it ends with several beeps like 5 that i have to remove the battery in order to stop it.
because of this i think laptop recognizes battery but then pressing the power, laptop doesn't start at all.
By now i think it is the charging circuit for the battery that is bad.
any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.