MacBook Pro Early 2011 15” Completely Dead?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an Early 2011 MBP 15” (A1286) of which I am the original owner.

Have had a few issues with it over the years (GPU died and had to implement the bypass software hack and had to replace the charger).

However, last night it suddenly died whilst converting a video from Zoom.

Doesn’t turn on at all. No MagSafe light. Battery had had about 300-400 cycles, but was plugged in whilst using Zoom.

I tried the suggestions in this Thread to no avail.

Upon opening the bottom, I did notice that a piece of plastic from a fuse-looking part had popped up and was sitting on top of the battery (attached picture below - it’s the one labelled ‘22‘ ‘1E12’ - unfortunately I can’t find much on Google on this number).

I’d take it to an Apple store, but they’re all unfortunately closed at the moment due to COVID.
Just wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar and might be able to provide some advice?

Thankfully I was able to check my SSD and it seems to be fine, so I’m not too worried about my data.

However, I was hoping to wait out before having to buy a new MBP 2020, particularly as I imagine the 16” will get an update this year/not willing to fork out $1000s whilst there are economic issues happening at the moment due to COVID.

Cheers!

BB051CDB-9D22-43D2-85B9-C70ED953DAA7.jpeg
6470A585-C176-4EE1-89D1-D1E3C0571894.jpeg

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No sense waiting for the Apple Stores to reopen since they won't accept your MacBook Pro for repair. A 2011 15" MacBook Pro is on the vintage list (Vintage and obsolete products - Apple Support) which means Apple will no longer work on it. You might find an authorized Apple Repair service provider in your area who may be willing to work on it.

As far as the unknown piece of plastic you found, perhaps you might find the take apart instructions at iFixit: The Free Repair Manual helpful in identifying it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Yes - you’re totally right RE the Apple store not repairing it.

I was hoping that they’d diagnose it for free (as they’ve done this for me in the past) which might at least put me on the right track to possibly repairing it.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding iFixit - I’ve put a post on their website to see if they know what that specific part of the logic board is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.