MacBook Pro - battery problem

Reaction score
the battery on my MacBook Pro (15", 2010) is no longer charging (it's charging right now, but for days it wouldn't (since last Monday), that's how it goes now...)

the main question I have is why the MacBook Pro doesn't work if it's connected to the power source... a windows machine, if the battery is not working (i.e., not charged, 0%), you can use it fine as long as it's connected to the AC.. why is this different on a mac? this is my main question... in my family there are two pc's whose batteries don't work anymore, but they work fine as long as they're connected to the power source... this is not the case with my MacBook Pro, this is very unsettling...

thank you...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MacBook Pro models which have a user non-removable battery (your MacBook Pro) are designed so that the battery must be in place for the machine to power up. The battery must also be serviceable (working). Why is it that way? You'll need to ask Apple. Older model MacBooks and MacBook Pros will work with the battery removed. They'll run slower, but they will power up.

OP
K
Reaction score
I can't replace the battery on my MacBook Pro?? oh brother..:-(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can't replace the battery on my MacBook Pro?? oh brother..:-(

Do you mean "can't" as in…

- It costs too much to replace the battery. Because in this situation…the battery certainly CAN be replaced…it's just a budget problem.;)
- Or "can't" as in…you live on the planet Mars…and no one delivers to Mars!;)

Other than this…I don't think that there are too many other "can't" situations.;)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
oh -- chscag responded:

The MacBook Pro models which have a user non-removable battery (your MacBook Pro) are designed so that...
I gathered that meant that technically I can't replace the battery (i.e., it's built in in such a way that it can't be removed and replaced or something like that..)

so technically I can remove and replace the battery then? (yes it's a budget issue too...;-) but right now am trying to find out about my options technically, then I'll worry about the budget....;-)

thank you....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has stated that the battery in the 2010 model MBP is not user replaceable and must be done at an authorized service center or Apple store. However, in reality, it can be replaced by using the proper tools which can be purchased at any Lowes or Home Depot.

But that leads us back to your original question and the reason it won't power up without a serviceable battery in place.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so technically I can remove and replace the battery then? (yes it's a budget issue too...;-) but right now am trying to find out about my options technically, then I'll worry about the budget....;-)

To mirror what chscag mentioned. Yes…the battery in your computer is DEFINITELY replaceable. Apple simply says that "technically" it is not user-replaceable…because Apple is not endorsing folks open up their computers to do the work.

You can go to eBay or a place like Powerbookmedic.com…and purchase a replacement battery (and install it yourself). You can also go to ifixit.com…to see the battery replacement procedure:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2010+Battery+Replacement/3024

It's actually very easy.:) Besides small screwdrivers…you need a not so common tri-wing screwdriver.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
ok.. so all you mean is that I personally can't replace it.. that it has to be done by a mac professional/expert... ok, that's fine....

(I hope and assume that I can find instructions online though, like you mention.. I'm in South America now, not even nearer one of the bigger cities in my country... so it might be a bit dicey.. on the other hand, I suppose there are mac experts everywhere who can do it.....;-)

so: next question (if I may, in this same thread):

how do I find out exactly what battery to purchase? a friend is coming from Europe in a few weeks, I might ask him to bring it.... MacBook Pro, 15", purchased in NYC in Sept of 2010... any other specs I need to know?

thank you very much...

thank you.....

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok.. so all you mean is that I personally can't replace it.. that it has to be done by a mac professional/expert... ok, that's fine….

No… You personally CAN replace the battery. You just have to purchase some inexpensive tools, purchase a replacement battery…and be able to follow some instructions.:)

(I hope and assume that I can find instructions online though, like you mention..

Please read my previous post.

I'm in South America now, not even nearer one of the bigger cities in my country... so it might be a bit dicey.. on the other hand, I suppose there are mac experts everywhere who can do it.....;-)

Being "In the Sticks" does make things a little more difficult.

so: next question (if I may, in this same thread):

how do I find out exactly what battery to purchase?

Please read my earlier post. You will be able to identify what battery you need (powerbookmedic.com). But where to purchase a replacement battery (given your location)…this may be something you need to look into (if eBay isn't an option).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.