MacBook Pro - are my expectations too high?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible!:)

I'm a student, wanting to buy a new laptop, and have some questions about how a 13" retina Macbook Pro (un-upgraded) would function in my day to day life. The most I would use would be Matlab and SPSS (infrequently for university/college) and occasionally Photoshop Elements (as well as Firefox, Word, and Excel very frequently).

Questions:

- Would it be able to run Word (multiple documents), Firefox (multiple tabs) and Spotify at the same time without crashing/getting slower(as an example)?

- Would it be able to handle Skype sending and receiving high quality video? (Surely the answer to this will be yes, but my current laptop PC cannot)

- Would it last 3-5 years, even if I take it to college/university 5 days a week?

- Would adding an external monitor greatly reduce the speed at which it can do things? And would this mean it had a shorter life? Ideally I'd like to buy a larger external monitor, as well as wireless mouse and keyboard.

- Would it be worth getting AppleCare considering the above? I know it's much cheaper for students

Thanks so much if you respond, and I'm really sorry if I've chosen the wrong place to post this. If so can you point me in the right direction for where to ask / where to look? I'd be really grateful :)

Rachel

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- Would it be able to run Word (multiple documents), Firefox (multiple tabs) and Spotify at the same time without crashing/getting slower(as an example)?

Yes.

- Would it be able to handle Skype sending and receiving high quality video? (Surely the answer to this will be yes, but my current laptop PC cannot)

Yes.

Would it last 3-5 years, even if I take it to college/university 5 days a week?

This mostly depends on you. Start dropping it, bumping it frequently, spilling liquids on it, expose it to rain, etc. etc...then no. No laptop/notebook will last 3-5 years.

Treat it like a dozen raw eggs...and if you break/crack one you go to the "electric chair";)...then yes...it will be durable enough to last 3-5 years.:)

- Would adding an external monitor greatly reduce the speed at which it can do things?

Nope...no problem.

Would it be worth getting AppleCare considering the above?

What you mean is "Extended Applecare". You get 12 months of Applecare automatically with purchase.;)

Not for the reasons mentioned above. Applecare covers manufacturing defects...not accidents. But if something would happen that Apple would cover. If you don't have extended Applecare (and you need it)...you'll be pretty darn mad that you didn't buy it!;)

The less than $200 (maybe less than $150) you would pay for extended Applecare (3 years total). In 3 years (when it expires)...you'll hardly notice the $150 you spent 3 years previously.;)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thank you Nick for your thorough reply!

I feel quite optimistic about not accidentally damaging it, it will be the most expensive thing I own and I've not broken anything electronic yet:)

Thank you for the distinction between Extended AppleCare and regular AppleCare :) I knew it would be clear from my post that I know very very little about Macs but didn't know it would be clear on this point too lol. I've decided will definitely be buying the Extended AppleCare :)

Rachel

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you decided on a specific model yet? Ff so…what will it be, and when are you going to pull the trigger?:)

Also. Don't forget to consider a refurbished Apple computer (in the refurbished section of Apple.com). You can save some money…and they are just like new.

Of course since you are a student…you may have some benefits that may be better than refurbished prices.

Just wanted to let you know.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.