MacBook Pro A1278 macOS Instillation Issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro
Hi,

I've been trying to use these suggestions here to upgrade this MacBook Pro to Catalina:

I have been successful on previous MacBook Pros.

However, I am having major issue with the one I am working on. It was unable to install Catalina because it says that it requires APFS formatting? When going through setting up using macs Disk Management it kept saying that APSF was applied but it still never worked?

It suggested that I install macOS High Sierra. This didn't work either. I then tried reinstalling the original macOS that was on it. However, I tried installing macOS 10.7.8 instead of macOS 10.7.5. This didn't work.

I have been able to get back to macOS 10.7.5 through the "Option + Command + R" on startup. However, the blue time line finished immediately and says there is over 2 billion hours left for instillation? Then it says that "Can't download additional components needed to install Mac OS X".

2 new photos by John Zettel

I don't seem to be able to get passed this point?

No matter what I have done, replaced the hard drive with SSD, SSD with SSD, with or with out battery connected.

I've followed suggestions from here:

I've reset the battery. Nothing is working?

Please, does someone know how to get this computer working again?

I hope that I have not bricked it? I will be happy just to get !0.7.5 back on a new SSD in it.
But if there is a way to get the Catalina hack to work that would even be better?

Thanks,

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. The A1278 model number was used for both MacBook and MacBook Pro models from 2008 to 2012. If the machine boots, please click on the  in the upper left corner then About This Mac and report what it says. The model will be something like "mid-2015" or similar. Once we know exactly which machine you have, we can tell how far you can upgrade it.

You can try an internet recovery to see if that will work at all: How to reinstall macOS Read the last section on Other recovery modes.

OP
PCRuns
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro
Thanks for responding. It is a "Late 2011". The Internet Recovery also ends up with the 2 billion hours to install. I do not have a working instillation with this mac. I did but messed is up trying an upgrade.

However, the first time I did an Internet Recovery it worked. Then I tried the upgrade again and since then I have been having this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK, thanks. According to Mactracker, that model can run up to High Sierra, no further. It originally came with Lion installed on it. So basically anything from Lion to High Sierra would get it going again. If you have access to another Mac, preferably one running High Sierra, you can download the installer on that machine, then use DiskmakerX to create a bootable USB thumb drive to move to the MBP you have and boot from it by hold down the Option key when it first powers on and hold it down until you see the thumb drive as a boot option. Boot from there, repartition the entire internal drive, using GUID and APFS, then reinstall HS from the same menu.

And I would try the Internet Recovery again. The long hours to install sounds like the Apple servers are busy or something is bottlenecking the network.

OP
PCRuns
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro
OK, I've found a solution that seems to work so far. I've taken the SSD with macOS 10.7.5 on it from a MacPro 1,1 I have. However, I don't seem to find any way to install a new macOS 10.7.5 on a new SSD in that machine?

I've even put the SSD back into it with the OS on it and every time I try it asks for an Apple ID and password yet accepts nothing? I am at a loss as to what to do here.

I've tried with the OS on and through recovery and nothing works.

I made this instillation that does work with out an Apple ID associated with it, yet it will not accept any Apple ID I try to associate with it?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Okay, maybe you have found an answer already but Jake already gave you the best solution.
If you have one working computer now download a compatible MacOS X version your other device can run from the link Jake provided then Quit it if it tries to run.
We have already established High Sierra is as high as you can go.
Download a Bootable macOS installer creator app like DiskmakerX or Instal Disk Creator (MacDaddy.io)
Use a USB thumb drive of say about 20GB to create a USB Bootable MacOS Installer.
Boot your device from it and in the window that comes up or the menu find and select Disk Utility.
Use disk utility to erase the SSD at the Media level. Name (default), Reformat (Mac OS Extended, Journaled) and Map (GUID) the drive.
Now go back to the installer and instal your fresh version of MacOSX.
You should end up at the setup assistant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.