MacBook Pro 2019 Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
hi guys I have the above mentioned MacBook Pro.

it did have a slight spill but I have taken it fully apart and the logic board is clean no water sensors tripped or anything in fact it got wet and I turned it over straight away.

no upon powering up the MacBook it boots to internet recovery straight away none of the keys respond except for the card lock key it lights up still as if its working as is the enter key and arrow keys.

I've tried to connect it to the internet but it gets nowhere.

it just stays on there for what seems like an eternity.

any ideas what I can try ??

thanks

Jason

p.s its an A1990 MacBook Pro

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It's behavior on startup indicates it cannot find a useable operating system. If it cannot connect to the internet it cannot restore the OS which means an external source would be required ie. a bootable external drive. With that you could check the viability of the internal drive which may have failed as all HD's will eventually. It's also possible that the spill could have caused some subtle damage that you cannot see.
One way or another you need a diagnostic tool to check it out. I have several bootable USB sticks with different macOS for just that purpose but if you are unable to create one yourself then the repair shop may be your only option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
If none of the keys respond is the keyboard connected correctly

OP
jasongoldworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's behavior on startup indicates it cannot find a useable operating system. If it cannot connect to the internet it cannot restore the OS which means an external source would be required ie. a bootable external drive. With that you could check the viability of the internal drive which may have failed as all HD's will eventually. It's also possible that the spill could have caused some subtle damage that you cannot see.
One way or another you need a diagnostic tool to check it out. I have several bootable USB sticks with different macOS for just that purpose but if you are unable to create one yourself then the repair shop may be your only option.
hi red thanks for the reply.

I will try a bootable USB

as for any damage on the logic board I have looked under a microscope for anything.

but I couldn't find a thing.

but wouldn't a USB keyboard work ???

that wouldn't type my wifi password in either.

but caps lock worked as did all the arrow keys and enter.

OP
jasongoldworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If none of the keys respond is the keyboard connected correctly
hi Jimmysb

I've tried with an external USB keyboard and the same issue persists.

OP
jasongoldworthy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi guys upon further testing it is the keyboard as when its disconnected I can use my usb keyboard with no issues but the fans don't run without the keyboard connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.