Macbook Pro 2012 with Thunderbolt hub?

Reaction score
I've never used Thunderbolt before but this used Macbook Pro mid 2012 has a Thunderbolt port on it. Apparently the connector is the same thing as a minidisplay port.

I intend to hook up an external monitor to the Thunderbolt port for a proper 1080p monitor, but now that I think of it, I could really use an external hard drive for storage.

Would it be possible to buy a Thunderbolt hub, then connect that to my Macbook, then have both a monitor and an external hard drive connected to the Thunderbolt hub and have it all work fine?

I'll have to look into getting an external enclosure that has a Thunderbolt port on it. I intended on using a 3TB 3.5" SATA II drive in it. I've already got the Thunderbolt/mini display port to DVI adapter on the way.

C

chas_m

Would it be possible to buy a Thunderbolt hub, then connect that to my Macbook, then have both a monitor and an external hard drive connected to the Thunderbolt hub and have it all work fine?

I'll have to look into getting an external enclosure that has a Thunderbolt port on it. I intended on using a 3TB 3.5" SATA II drive in it. I've already got the Thunderbolt/mini display port to DVI adapter on the way.

Yes, that should work fine, but isn't strictly necessary. You have two USB 3 ports on that machine, both of which are very fast (not nearly as fast as Thunderbolt, but hugely faster than USB 2), and it would likely be a lot cheaper to get a USB3 hard drive.

If you want to experience the speed of Thunderbolt, then by all means get a Thunderbolt drive, I'm sure it will be extremely impressive. But USB 3 would probably meet your external drive needs at a fraction of the price unless you are doing something with the external drive that relies on very fast transfers.

OP
T
Reaction score
I've never used a proper USB3 device before, only USB 2.0. I wasn't too satisfied with the speed with USB 2.0. Maybe It's not so bad with USB3?

C

chas_m

USB 3 is about 8-10x faster than USB 2 in real-world use. Thunderbolt (gen 1) is a lot faster -- more than twice as fast -- but that seems to me better suited to SSD devices than traditional physical hard drives, that can't really saturate the connection.

OP
T
Reaction score
I need the 3TB drive for editing Pro Res files. Do you think a USB3 enclosure would suit me well for video editing? Hope it'll be fast enough.

C

chas_m

I have a 3TB Western Digital that I use for streaming 1080p movies and it seems to work beautifully on USB3, so I think the answer would be yes, but if you're doing that for a living I'd suggest investing in the Thunderbolt drive since you'll doubtless be needing 4K capability soon enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.