Macbook Pro 2011 15" - Not Charging / No Indicator

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I sniped a MBP on eBay, and I prettied her all up and everything. However, I'm having issues getting her to actually charge. The charger that came with the laptop looks pretty awful, so I got an aftermarket one on Amazon.

With either charger (new or one included) I don't see any light indicator (no green, no orange). I tried resetting the SMC with the Shift-Ctrl-Option-Power buttons, but I don't know if there's a way to know if it was reset or not. I took a toothbrush to the MBP charging port, but it didn't help.

I kind of want to hope that it's just the DC-in board and not the whole logic board, but is there anything I can test internally to try and narrow my options down?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You've tried some great things so far…sounds like you know what you're doing.:)

Two things:

- Do you know if the battery is any good? Will the computer run off the battery? Is the battery currently charged?
- Has this computer every worked properly since you purchased it? Have the mag-safe chargers ever worked properly?

If you have the ability…I would test those mag-safe chargers on a 2nd (known working) MacBook Pro to test their function. If they work with a 2nd computer…then the problem could be the DC-In/Mag-safe board.

As far as the DC-In board. No way for an end-user to test the board…unless you have a 2nd EXACT MacBook Pro to install it into. Otherwise…you need to purchase a new/used & working DC-In board & install it to see if the DC-In board is the problem.

One other thing you should tell us. Did you purchase this MacBook Pro (via eBay) non-working? Meaning…was the seller selling it non-working…with the problem as unknown? If this is the case…how do you know that the problem is not the logic board?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
You've tried some great things so far…sounds like you know what you're doing.:)

Two things:

- Do you know if the battery is any good? Will the computer run off the battery? Is the battery currently charged?
- Has this computer every worked properly since you purchased it? Have the mag-safe chargers ever worked properly?

If you have the ability…I would test those mag-safe chargers on a 2nd (known working) MacBook Pro to test their function. If they work with a 2nd computer…then the problem could be the DC-In/Mag-safe board.

As far as the DC-In board. No way for an end-user to test the board…unless you have a 2nd EXACT MacBook Pro to install it into. Otherwise…you need to purchase a new/used & working DC-In board & install it to see if the DC-In board is the problem.

One other thing you should tell us. Did you purchase this MacBook Pro (via eBay) non-working? Meaning…was the seller selling it non-working…with the problem as unknown? If this is the case…how do you know that the problem is not the logic board?

- Nick

Battery seems fine to me -- System Report shows 80 cycles. So it seems pretty new. Came at 75%. Yes, it runs off the battery fine.

New charger works on my 13" MBP, so... I guess I'll buy a DC-in board.

Yeah, it's from eBay, but it was stated as working, and it does -- just a matter of getting charging to work, as it boots into Mavericks no problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Battery seems fine to me -- System Report shows 80 cycles. So it seems pretty new. Came at 75%. Yes, it runs off the battery fine.

New charger works on my 13" MBP, so... I guess I'll buy a DC-in board.

Yeah, it's from eBay, but it was stated as working, and it does -- just a matter of getting charging to work, as it boots into Mavericks no problem.

Awesome…all of that info sounds great (computer runs off the battery).:)

From the info so far…I would say the problem is either:

- the Mag-Safe chargers
- or the DC-In board

Considering that you have TWO Mag-Safe chargers…and neither seems to be working. Statistically…to have two bad chargers would seem more unusual. If you REALLY wanted to confirm if these chargers are the problem…try them on a second MacBook Pro.

If you don't have access to a 2nd MacBook Pro to test with (friends, family, coworkers, etc.)…then I would go with the new/used DC-In/Mag-Safe board.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Awesome…all of that info sounds great (computer runs off the battery).:)

From the info so far…I would say the problem is either:

- the Mag-Safe chargers
- or the DC-In board

Considering that you have TWO Mag-Safe chargers…and neither seems to be working. Statistically…to have two bad chargers would seem more unusual. If you REALLY wanted to confirm if these chargers are the problem…try them on a second MacBook Pro.

If you don't have access to a 2nd MacBook Pro to test with (friends, family, coworkers, etc.)…then I would go with the new/used DC-In/Mag-Safe board.

HTH,

- Nick

Yeah, I'm excited that everything else works. Honestly, I'm torn between keeping it or flipping it, as it's a really nice machine. I'm almost disappointed I didn't go 15" instead of my 13".

I tested the chargers with my 13" MBP and it worked fine. So I bought a new DC-in for the 15" to see how it works out. I'm assuming I can just follow an iFixIt tutorial on swapping it out.

Thanks for the help though -- I'll check back in in a few days and let everyone know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming I can just follow an iFixIt tutorial on swapping it out.

The iFixit.com procedure should be fine. That's exactly the procedure I would have recommended.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
The iFixit.com procedure should be fine. That's exactly the procedure I would have recommended.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Unfortunately, replacing the DC-In board did not fix the issue.

What would be my next course of action?

(Also, is it possible to test for a short or anything? Is it possible that the logic board is just straight-up bad?)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, replacing the DC-In board did not fix the issue.

Sorry to hear that the DC-In board replacement didn't work.

Before you go any further. You said earlier that this computer was purchased via eBay…and that it was supposed to be working. Sounds like it really is NOT working as it should.

Maybe before much more time goes by (and money spent by you)…it's time to contact the seller about returning it. Assuming that the computer is not working as described by the seller.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that the DC-In board replacement didn't work.

Before you go any further. You said earlier that this computer was purchased via eBay…and that it was supposed to be working. Sounds like it really is NOT working as it should.

Maybe before much more time goes by (and money spent by you)…it's time to contact the seller about returning it. Assuming that the computer is not working as described by the seller.

- Nick

It was stated as working, but having an "iCloud lock," (so pretty much As-Is, but working) but it would boot to a ? so I just wiped the HD with my other MBP and made a bootable Mavericks USB to install on it. I had no intentions of having to actually diving into the hardware of this (I'm not frightened by it by any means, it's just more work) but charging is the only thing that isn't working, and when I bought it, I had no idea that that was an issue, as it was stated as working, just with that "iCloud lock."

So, yeah...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but charging is the only thing that isn't working, and when I bought it, I had no idea that that was an issue, as it was stated as working, just with that "iCloud lock."

I guess it comes down to how much $$$ are you into this computer for…and are ok with losing if the computer cannot be made to work.

The not-charging problem is of course a big deal…since once the battery loses charge…the computer will just be a brick. And if the seller mentioned nothing about a charging problem…then this would certainly be a reason to return it.

The charging situation mostly involves:

- the magsafe charger
- the battery
- the DC-In board

If these are all good…then pretty much the only thing left is the logic board. And you don't want to replace this…too much $$$!

The only other thing I can suggest…did you do an SMC Reset after installing the DC-In board. Just a thought…probably a long shot.

I'm thinking if you spent some decent bucks for this computer…and the charging problem was not mentioned by the seller…it may be time to return it. Maybe the seller knew about the charging problem…and just didn't want to mention it.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Spent $200 for it, so it's not that crazy. Can't return it, as it's AS-IS, I don't know how many times I have to say that... What's weird is that the battery only has 80 cycles on it...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't return it, as it's AS-IS, I don't know how many times I have to say that...

Are you getting "grumpy" now?? Is this the way you say thanks for the help??

Say it 1000 times if you want…the statement "As-Is" does not mean anything. I've purchased and sold items on eBay…and I've been able to return items…and have had items returned to me…where the term "As-Is" was used.

The point is…the computer was described as working…but it doesn't work 100% (not charging). If the seller will not allow you to return it…then open up a Paypal dispute (if you paid via Paypal). Paypal almost always rules in the favor of the buyer…thus you have a great chance to get your money back.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.