MacBook Pro 2010/need SSD advice

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post .
would love some advice .I have a MacBook Pro from, mid 2010 I'm running a regular hard drive , which is failing at the moment due to a bump at an opportune time . Since prices are better now, I will go with a SSD . I have seen some on eBay for about $70 used, lots of Toshiba. I have to go with the best price at the moment, even used. I know it's not the best thing to do ,but funds are very tight. I have heard of other good solid-state drives. like'' Vertex ''?or "Crucial 4 " Is there something else I should buy that is very good value.
I do not require any really special power ,or speed or storage just a really good reliable SSD. I expect these to be better anyway then the regular hard drive.
Thank's
Alex

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have to go with the best price at the moment, even used.

I do not require any really special power ,or speed or storage just a really good reliable SSD.

If you:

- currently have a failing hard drive
- don't have a big budget
- don't need a lot of speed
- want something reliable

...just purchase a brand new replacement hard drive...rather than a used SSD.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I would but for the fear of bumping the computer again ,and the fact that SSD is more durable because no moving parts. How much more durable are SSD ?
I'll consider it though.

Alex

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would but for the fear of bumping the computer again ,and the fact that SSD is more durable because no moving parts. How much more durable are SSD ?
I'll consider it though.

Rotational hard drives have been used in portable computers for a long long time. SSD's are a relatively new thing. How do you think many of us got along before SSD's??

If you're a responsible computer owner…you really shouldn't have a problem with a rotational HD.:) "Bumps" can happen…but they are normally pretty rare…and even rarer that a bump damages an HD.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I think you are giving very sensible advice,and I'm still considering it .I am though now interested in comparing a low GB SSD like Kingston, to a rotational HD. what do you think ?
I'll post the Q.

Thank's

OP
A
Reaction score
MacBook Pro 2010 :120 GB SSD v.250 GB HD ?

SSD are faster and more reliable,I'm told .
So I need a replacment Drive on a budget .If I go lower in GB but get a SSD price seems comparable to More GB in a 250 GB HD . But is a 120 GB SSD as fast as a 250 HD ?
do you like the Kingston SSD ?

Alex
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Any SSD will be faster than a regular ( mechanical ) Hard Drive, both in reading and writing data.
Downside for an SSD is the cost per GigaByte, which is significantly higher than a normal HD.
So the main criteria for your decision will be storage capacity ..... if 120 GB is sufficient, I would go for the SSD.
Mind you, 120 GB in today's world is not a huge amount of storage and can fill very quickly with pictures/video's etc.

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Threads merged. Same discussion regarding SSD drive for MBP. Thread also moved to better area.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SSD are faster and more reliable,I'm told .
So I need a replacment Drive on a budget .If I go lower in GB but get a SSD price seems comparable to More GB in a 250 GB HD . But is a 120 GB SSD as fast as a 250 HD ?
do you like the Kingston SSD ?

Earlier in this thread you said that speed wasn't important. If speed is important…then that changes things.

By the way…you can get a 250gig rotational hard drive for about $28 bucks.

Refurbished: Seagate ST3250310CS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Any SSD will be faster than a regular ( mechanical ) Hard Drive, both in reading and writing data.
Downside for an SSD is the cost per GigaByte, which is significantly higher than a normal HD.
So the main criteria for your decision will be storage capacity ..... if 120 GB is sufficient, I would go for the SSD.
Mind you, 120 GB in today's world is not a huge amount of storage and can fill very quickly with pictures/video's etc.

Cheers ... McBie

120 GB may be sufficient for me . where can I find out what I have used up so far on my macbook pro please? this would probably help answer this Q . I don't have a lot of down loaded pix or vids yet I think .

OP
A
Reaction score
Earlier in this thread you said that speed wasn't important. If speed is important…then that changes things.

Refurbished: Seagate ST3250310CS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

- Nick

Thank's again nick this is very good info and a source for a HD.and it has 7200 rpm as opposed to the 5400rpm I'm running now. speed isn't of that much importance , but it is nicer, if I can swing it. Like a more powerful car is easier to use.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank's again nick this is very good info and a source for a HD.and it has 7200 rpm as opposed to the 5400rpm I'm running now. speed isn't of that much importance , but it is nicer, if I can swing it. Like a more powerful car is easier to use.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting an SSD. But as you probably know…for the same money you can get a lot more gigs of storage with a non-SSD drive. And I wasn't so sure that buying a used SSD would be a great idea (as you mentioned in an earlier post).

And you mentioned that speed wasn't a NEED. And really…speed is what an SSD is all about.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score

- Nick

Nick ,
the LINK you pasted to the discussion forum , I understood to representing a hard drive for a MacBook Pro, for $28 , .

What did you do ???.... My post clearly states I have a MacBook Pro.

I ordered the hard drive , and it's far too big, it's not for a MacBook Pro. Now I'm going to have to call them( New Egg) on the phone and return it .
What they got, under {search} ""hard drive MacBook Pro"" looks to be $98 . Anyway that specific link is wrong.

What happened ?

Alex

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.