Macbook pro 2010 Mid shuts down

Reaction score
Every time I go and move my macbook usually from the side it will freeze up and then restart. When I log back in it will say problem has happened. It also runs very warm when its on. Could someone please help me solve this problem?
Thanks
Macbook pro 2010 Mid

Last edited:
C

chas_m

As for the heat, the metal in the MacBook is designed to dissipate the heat. Sounds like it is working perfectly.

As for the freezing, it sounds like you are somehow flexing the video subsystem, which shouldn't be doable in a unibody, unless the machine's been damaged in a previous drop.

The obvious suggestion is of course to stop picking it up from one side.

OP
R
Reaction score
Macbook pro

Is there away for me to replace the graphic card or can it be strengthened some how so It doesn't shut off?
Thanks

C

chas_m

Is there away for me to replace the graphic card

No.

or can it be strengthened some how so It doesn't shut off?
Thanks

You've evidently already done some damage, the primary objective would be not to further damage it. Pick it up from underneath as you would a pizza box so that you avoid doing any further damage.

The "repair" for this is a new logic board (big bucks). I'm not aware of any other fix for a unibody MBP. The earlier MacBooks (the plastic ones) could be "fixed" by reflowing the solder that holds the graphics card in place. But even then, in order to avoid re-damaging it, one must stop picking in up with one hand except in the manner I described above.

Reaction score
It could be a number of issues that is causing this problem with your MBP. Have you dropped your computer or had any other damage to the body? I do not believe if it is a graphics card issue if your computer is fully functional when your laptop is not moving, and the problem only occurs when you move the laptop.

Just curious, what do you mean when you move it from the side?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.