Macbook Pro ‘15 Retina (2015) sluggish UI

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, Ive just read that that glitchy and messy graphics perfomance in safe mode is totally expected and its intentionally limited by Apple. I ran Apple Diagnostics and... nothing wrong was detected. I ran without power cable, so it just said something about power cable, which is irrelevant since I have no problems with power.

EDIT: so I did an experiment, I ran a video in Safari and then tried launch launchpad and open apps to see how animation goes, so each time video is running or you entering launchpad while being within Safari environment - launchpad performance drops down, but when you enter it from desktop - its smooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
each time video is running or you entering launchpad while being within Safari environment - launchpad performance drops down, but when you enter it from desktop - its smooth.

I will have to admit that I've never bothered with or used Launchpad.app, and as that's where all your problems seem to be, why bother using it.

Actually I've never understood the reason or good use of using Launchpad.

BTW:
Ok, Ive just read that that glitchy and messy graphics perfomance in safe mode is totally expected and its intentionally limited by Apple.
Do you happen to still have the link or address of that info???

It sure doesn't make any sense to me.

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, how else I should reach my all apps? :) By using Finder?

Here is a link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203889

Dang it, i had a problem with High Sierra while watching Netflix - it flickered with white or black screen intervals, only disabling subtitles solved the problem, not on Sierra there is no white or black screen, but rather green artificial, glitch happening for a split of the second. Ive noticed not playing in full-screen pretty much solves it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, how else I should reach my all apps? By using Finder?

Yup. I just use the Finder and the Dock and another old utility to launch/switch apps. One single click suits me fine thanks.

OK, but that's just mentioning that there will be some graphics performance limitations in those situations, but not completely FUBAR!!!! :Oops:

-Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
I cant install macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo update, cos Ive already installed official one via App Store during auto-update. Is there any way to overwrite it with Combo update? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Are you trying to install the Sierra combo update over High Sierra? Or did you install Sierra first? I am a bit confused. The combo updates only contain the updates since the original install of the version of OS it is named for. It is not the whole OS. To use the Sierra combo first you have to install Sierra. If you have previously installed Sierra you might be able to download it again under your purchased tab in the app store.

Or am I reading that wrong?

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Are you trying to install the Sierra combo update over High Sierra? Or did you install Sierra first? I am a bit confused. The combo updates only contain the updates since the original install of the version of OS it is named for. It is not the whole OS. To use the Sierra combo first you have to install Sierra. If you have previously installed Sierra you might be able to download it again under your purchased tab in the app store.

Or am I reading that wrong?

Lisa

I have macOS Sierra installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cant install macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo update, cos Ive already installed official one via App Store during auto-update. Is there any way to overwrite it with Combo update? Thanks.

I don't know if you're confusing the two or having problems, but the "COMBO" is actually a different installer, or it sure used to be:
10.12.6 Update and 10.12.6 COMBO Update difference
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...12-6-update-and-10-12-6-combo-update.2069544/

The macOS Sierra 10.12.6 Combo update COMBO updated is provided and available here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1931?locale=en_CA

- Patrick
=======

OP
S
Reaction score
No, Patrick. It's how I say - I've installed NOT COMBO 10.12.6, which comes with auto updating via App Store, so I have NOT COMBO update 10.12.6 installed and running on my machine, but now I want 10.12.6 COMBO update to be installed and I encounter the error during installation process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but now I want 10.12.6 COMBO update to be installed and I encounter the error during installation process.

Skirmoza, care to provide the message or a screen shot of the 10.12.6 COMBO update installation "error" you are receiving???

- Patrick
======

OP
S
Reaction score
Skirmoza, care to provide the message or a screen shot of the 10.12.6 COMBO update installation "error" you are receiving???

- Patrick
======

Sure. Here is a screenshot of the problem and about mac info

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 23.14.03.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure. Here is a screenshot of the problem and about mac info

OK, but I guess I'd give Apple a call as I'm tired of trying to find out some of their reasons to to many of their too typically cryptic goofup reasons!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you restarted then Mac?

Have you booted into Recovery, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314, and run Disk Utility > First Aid, on the drive(s) in question?

Is the update, on a USB drive? If so, copy the update onto the computer needing the update, then run it from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Sorry for re-asking the same question - but is there COMBO anywhere in the update's file name? We've been asking you to use the COMBO updater. I don't think you can re-apply the regular update. The download filename will be "macosupdcombo10.12.6.dmg"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.