Macbook Pro 15 - Foggy display with inverted colors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 Late 2013 (2.0 GHz IG), iPhone 7
Hello Forum,

I have really experienced a strange issue with my display on macbook pro 15 late 2013 (2.0 GHz IG model). The display out of blue turned to very bright and foggy thing with inverted colors. Happened without warning, nothing pointed out on that its going to happen. When it happened I was playing game. I wasnt moving with the lid at that time, not even in last couple of minutes. Invert colors is unchecked at accessibility preferences. I have opened it and plugged reconnected the display cable. No change. External display via HDMI works fine with no issues.

PS. It looks like it is progressing issue, the display turns even more to foggier state after some time. Over night it we t back to "just" foggy. Now it is progressing again. ALSO, at one point colors went back to normal for one minute, then they turned inverted again.

Any ideas? Can it be cable? Or do I have to replace the whole display?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is the picture, currently the inverted colors are only on borders and central size is uninverted. Still foggy.

IMG_1413 copy.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very unusual issue. Don't think I've come across this before. I would have suggested checking the accessability preferences...but you already tried that.

Usually if an external monitor is fine (which it seems to be in this case)...then the video hardware is ok...and the issue is either a bad internal video cable...or it's the display.

Here's something simple that can be tried just in case...try doing an SMC Reset and an NVRAM Reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Fingers crossed one of these helps.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Didn't solve the issue Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was afraid of that (long shot try). Given everything that has been tried...we would seem to be getting closer & closer to it being a hardware issue. Maybe it's time to let Apple check it out before any money is spent. I realize that this computer is probably out of warranty. But if Apple looks at it...and confirms it's a hardware issue...then you can decide if repairing it is worth it. Who knows...maybe Apple finds something software related.:)

A few last things I would do if this was my computer (3 more long shot try's):

1. Try booting into the Recovery Partition...and see if the display issue remains.
2. Try booting from an external HD with an OS installed on it.
3. Try booting into Safe Mode:

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. If the above doesn't help...maybe try throwing it against the wall!;) Just teasing...don't do that!

Reaction score
From what you are describing and the image of the photo, seems like there could only be a few possible issues.
1)Your LCD Cable could be bad
2)Your entire LCD can possibly be bad
3)Your Video Chip can possibly be bad.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with 1 and 2 above, however, since an external display is OK, it can't be number 3. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more thing I have noticed: The display failed during the Diablo 3 session. Sometimes I can still see overlay of the skill/health/mana bar which is in the bottom. Like it was "burnt into it". Sometimes it is less visible. I will post photo once it is very visible.

When you say I should take it to apple, does it mean to apple retail store, or any apple certified repair service?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a possibility that there is an issue on motherboard, but not with video card? For example motherboard connector for display data cable? Thus, the external display via HDMI may seem fine even though there is a problem in motherboard (hope I wrote it in understandable way).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a full-screen solid black colour image opened. Visible overlay of Diablo 3 during the failure, also there is no visible problem on the display when its turned off.

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Reaction score
Agree with 1 and 2 above, however, since an external display is OK, it can't be number 3. ;)

I would have to disagree with you chscag,

It can still be the video chip even though the external display is okay since the problem isn't with the output.

The issue can also be with the cable socket on where the LCD cable goes to the logic board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say I should take it to apple, does it mean to apple retail store, or any apple certified repair service?

I was thinking the Apple Store...since they would probably diagnose it for free. If you take it somewhere else...they may charge you a fee. Depends what you have locally or convenient. Either way...you gotta do what ya gotta do.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I was thinking the Apple Store...since they would probably diagnose it for free. If you take it somewhere else...they may charge you a fee. Depends what you have locally or convenient. Either way...you gotta do what ya gotta do.:)

- Nick

If he's currently covered under Apple Care then yes, they will diagnose for free. But from my knowledge, if he is NOT currently covered under Apple Care, they will charge for a diagnostics. I am not 100% sure on that so please correct me if I'm wrong

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It can still be the video chip even though the external display is okay since the problem isn't with the output.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Based on our experience and many reports from users, when the GPU is bad, you will see the result even on an external monitor.

Nick is correct. An Apple Store genius bar will perform diagnostics for free, however, any repairs will be charged for. That's Apple Stores only. Authorized Apple Repair service at other locations do charge for diagnostics.

The only time an Apple Store will not perform diagnostics is if the machine is considered vintage.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you guys for the advices :) I think I will write on customer service, maybe they have some more solutions. Then I will replace the display data cable first since that is not pricey step. If the problems persists, I will probably have to visit apple certified service and let them make diagnostics so I know where exactly is the problem and how to solve it. Since I live in Denmark there is no apple store nearby, I also don't have valid warranty and apple care programme.

For now it is slightly better I am able to do basic stuff, central area is readable. I also don't think it would be video card, I am now convinced that it is LCD. The issue starts right when I turn on the computer when the backlight turns on, even before apple logo.

-------------------------------------

This theory may sound crazy, but is there possibility that strong electromagnetic field would damage transistors in display and could result in problems I suffer from? Any physician here?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It says literally: No issue

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.