Macbook pr logic board heat-gun relfow help....

Reaction score
I have 2 macbook pro's I fixed the 2007 model with the nvidia gpu chip using heat-gun method. The other is a 2006 with the ati gpu chip, what this one does is it turns on you hear the apple chime and stays on but no video from screen and external.

I heat-gun the gpu multiple times and went up to around 8 mins few times and still same exact symptom explained above. Does anyone know if another chip needs to be reflowed? Again all I have done is the ati chip. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
SOME risk?

If the computer is already "busted"…and a new logic board costs more than the computer is worth…not really much risk (in this case).:) If this procedure is not done…then the computer is dead anyway.

If someone knows how to do this procedure a lot of the risk is negated. The procedure can also be done in the oven (regular home oven). But the torch method focus's things on just the graphics chip...rather than the whole logic board with the oven method.

- Nick

tgg

Reaction score
seriously?

Yes seriously... Sometimes the source of the issue might not be the obvious being the gpu it could be another ic chip like southbridge or is it the northbridge chip? cant remember now the one in the middle of the gpu and cpu. Or the issue can be somewhere further away from the gpu area, so I just wanted to get someone with more experience opinions what else i can try.

Tonight though I guess im going to try the oven way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.