Macbook MC516LL/A cannot install OS

Reaction score
When I try to install Lion on a Macbook MC516LL/A 2010 from the net, I get a message to enter my Apple ID. When I have done this, I get a message stating that the service is temporarily unavailable. I have tried several user id's with no success. This Macbook came from a US college and I am thinking that the bios is rewritten. Does anybody no a solution around this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I try to install Lion on a Macbook MC516LL/A 2010 from the net, I get a message to enter my Apple ID.

I have tried several user id's with no success.

What do you mean several userid's have been used? Apple ID's and userid's are not the same. I think that you're only supposed to have one Apple ID. Maybe you're using the proper Apple ID…but entering the correct password?

This Macbook came from a US college and I am thinking that the bios is rewritten. Does anybody no a solution around this?

Mac's don't have BIOS. So it can't be this.

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
What do you mean several userid's have been used? Apple ID's and userid's are not the same. I think that you're only supposed to have one Apple ID. Maybe you're using the proper Apple ID…but entering the correct password?

Mac's don't have BIOS. So it can't be this.

- Nick

I have come a little bit further into the problem with the MC516’s. I took out the hard drive and put in another one with OS installed. It booted find, so the problem is lying on the hard drive. Using disk utility I analysed the drive and it has a partition of 1.3gb and a folder called MAC OS System. The rest of the drive is unformatted. I cannot access partition 1 or erase it. Any idea of how to get rid of this partition?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.