Macbook lagging, becoming hard to use

Reaction score
I am running a late 2009, 13-inch Macbook with a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. I am running Yosemite OS X 10.10.1 with 4GB of Memory. I have a 250 GB hard drive, with 36.88 GB free. Over the past few months, I've noticed that my computer lags really badly with just about everything. Opening up applications takes forever, and then once they are open, they freeze up constantly. For example, opening safari windows often leads to freezing (spinning beach ball) and slow loading pages. But it's not just Safari...it happens with mail, iTunes, etc. I've run the basic Onyx Maintenance tasks every so often, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in performance.

I tried doing a clean install of Yosemite and only put my essential apps and files back on to computer. Unfortunately, no improvements. Any tips on what I can do to speed things up and reduce the lag and constant freezing? I can provide any additional information that would help.

Thanks!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Replace the hard drive.

Since you've already done a clean install - and I am assuming you had the same issue prior to filling the drive back up to 85% full. Your hard drive is dying. If you don't have a backup - you need to backup "NOW".

C

chas_m

I agree with Tom that it is LIKELY to be the hard drive starting to fail. You could try upping the RAM (which I'd suggest anyway -- that model can do 8GB I believe), and you could try erasing the drive with a single pass of zero's (this would lock off bad sectors), but given the cheapness of replacement drives, why bother. Replace it (you'll need a #00 phillips screwdriver and a #6 torx, per instructions on ifixit.com).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
I agree with Tom that it is LIKELY to be the hard drive starting to fail. You could try upping the RAM (which I'd suggest anyway -- that model can do 8GB I believe), and you could try erasing the drive with a single pass of zero's (this would lock off bad sectors), but given the cheapness of replacement drives, why bother. Replace it (you'll need a #00 phillips screwdriver and a #6 torx, per instructions on ifixit.com).

Hello chas_m fancy meeting you here discussing 'memory'. :)
I have been looking around at RAM and now would like an opinion on which is the best of the bunch. I have come across - Crucial, Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, Hyper Kingston to just name a few. If you know of a better one please tell me.
At present my MBP is using 2 x 4GB, DDR3, 1333 MHz. Early 2011 - 2.3GHz i5 inte core.
I believe it will take up to 16GB.

C

chas_m

Yes I think it will take 16GB. Crucial is well-thought of around here, it's what I used for my 16GB upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I too bought from Crucial (UK) - delivery and customer service were first class.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
Yes I think it will take 16GB. Crucial is well-thought of around here, it's what I used for my 16GB upgrade.

There are many variants to their specifications. The one's Crucial recommend on their web page for my MBP would they be the only one's I could use ( in those spec's ).
What I mean is there are SO-DIMMs can I use these also, or just stick to what they suggest.
When you start looking ( and not having a lot of knowledge ) it does become confusing, so I'm just after some help in choosing which ones I can use.
Thanks for your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Stick to their suggestions, you do need DDR3, 1333 MHz.. else it's likely the machine will not boot.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would suggest you do not have enough storage spare. Although 10% - 15% is often enough 20% is better. You have 36.88 Gb free, 50 Gb would be better. Reduce your storage, usually media is easiest eg movies. Don't forget to empty trash.
Use Disk utility to Erase Free Space and assuming you have a complete backup run Repair Permissions.
See how it runs after that.
If you still have the same problems use Disk Utility to Verify HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
Thanks to all who have given me plenty of help.
Thank you.

Reaction score
They are correct i wouldn't have even tried to run yosemite on 4 gig's to unstable unless your on a macbook air.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.