MacBook keyboard puzzle

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain why the keys to type # on my keyboard have suddenly changed from alt+3 to Shift+3 and explain how to I get it back to how it should be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Switch your keyboard back to the UK keyboard. You have it set on the US keyboard. Using a US style keyboard Shift + 3 = #. If I use Alt + 3 on a US style keyboard it gives me = £.

OP
O
Reaction score
chscag, Thanks for the reply and sorry for appearing dense but can you please explain how do I switch back? I get as far as System Preferences >Keyboard - but where from there?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to switch to UK by going to System Preferences, Keyboard, Input Sources, UK English. Once you've set that up right, the keys should work as before.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Actually, oisin is not alone.

The way he describes his KB actions coincides exactly with mine and I am on British English. And I do recall that this came about as a surprise about a year or more ago. I am on Mavericks and I related it, or so I thought, to an update. Anyway, in my case, I accepted the change and happily live with it.

Ian

OP
O
Reaction score
You should be able to switch to UK by going to System Preferences, Keyboard, Input Sources, UK English. Once you've set that up right, the keys should work as before.
That did the job. Thanks a million, chscag.:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway, in my case, I accepted the change and happily live with it.

Ian:

You can switch back to the UK English keyboard by following the directions I gave to member "oisin001" unless you like using the keyboard that way. ;D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Charlie

Thanks. You are kindness personified, as always. I am grateful.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.