macbook display stays on when closed

Reaction score
I got my macbook screen replaced and now the display stays on when its closed. the display staying on when i close my macbook can be sweet at times, to listen to music or whatever but i want the display to shut off when i close it because i use it on an external display. Does anybody know how i can do this or what may be the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Do you have the little InsomniaX utility installed on your Macbook? If so, it may be keeping the Mac awake when you close the lid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Otherwise, if it's not Insomniax, or some other similar app that you have installed, they may have messed up when putting in the new screen.
I'm not sure how it works exactly, but apparently there's a sensor that tells the Mac to sleep when a magnetic connection happens between the lid and the lower casing when closing.

C

chas_m

It's not an app. It's the reed switch.

When you put the new screen in, you knocked out of place the little (tiny) magnet that makes contact with another one in the topcase that make a circuit that lets the computer know it should go to sleep. I've seen this happen all the time when people try to repair their own screens.

You can either replace it (and since you've done the screen you KNOW what this will entail) or you can just learn to put the machine to sleep using the keyboard or mouse and THEN close the lid.

PS. Leaving the screen on when closed is VERY bad for the machine, builds up a LOT of heat. I'd stop doing that if I were you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Seeing that you had someone replace it for you, presumably an Authorised repairer, I'd take it to them explaining that when they fitted the new screen, that the magnet that operates the reed switch on the battery connector is either not there or has slipped somewhere when they were doing it.

C

chas_m

Sorry, I appear to have misread the original post slightly, I thought it said the OP had changed the screen out himself.

Thanks for the assist, 6string.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you chas_m
I knew there was a mechanism as you described, but now thanks too you I have a little more of a technical understanding of what it is.
:)

OP
blind_30
Reaction score
well thanks a lot guys... this has to be the problem, there are no apps downloaded that would be causing it. Ill take it to them to get fixed..... i wont use the macbook with the lid closed either because it def gets too hot and may cause some problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.