MacBook AirPort Card Died

Reaction score
The AirPort card in my MacBook 5,1 died. If a replacement on a machine that old (~10 years) is possible, would it be quick, easy and cheap, or am I in for a long wait and big bill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
B
Reaction score
Not that I would ever attempt the repair, but the Web never ceases to knock my socks off.

For a qualified repair person, the process doesn't look that tough. I suppose I would have to buy the right card and give it to the repair person to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
OP
B
Reaction score
Although my MacBook is about 10 years old, I've used it only when I've been away from home, so the actual use time is about 18 months. I'm wondering if the AirPort card's death with that little use indicates the whole machine is on its last legs.

It's this machine:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

The screen does look to be 15" diagonally, but I don't see that designated in the specs.

I'm away from home now and dependent on the MacBook for personal and business stuff. There's no Apple store here, but there is an independent Mac repair place. They said I'd have to buy the card myself and give it to them to install, but they couldn't guarantee the card or the repair cause the part is not theirs. So I can't really do the repair till I'm home in mid-Feb. My guess is the card at the link you sent is in the right price neighborhood even if it's not exactly the one I'd need.

In the meantime, the Mac repair place suggested a WiFi adapter. I ordered one of those and a USB hub today. Until they come and I install them, I'm tied to an ethernet cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds like a good alternative, in your current situation.

I have been using ifixit.com for 6+ years, and have ordered a few tools and parts through them, or their site, and have had very good results.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's this machine:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

The screen does look to be 15" diagonally, but I don't see that designated in the specs.

If it's a 15" display...then it has got to be a MacBook Pro. There were no 15" MacBooks...since MacBooks is/was a different model line.

- Nick

p.s. Replacement Airport card is $17.75 (used condition).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
B
Reaction score
I have no ruler to measure the screen diagonally. The best I can do is estimate with a 3X5 index card. Screen is about 13". That would agree with the specs above from System Profiler not saying MacBook Pro.

ifixit and powerbookmedic are terrific resources that I had no idea existed. Thanks for those tips and other info addressing my little dilemma.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
ifixit and powerbookmedic are terrific resources that I had no idea existed. Thanks for those tips and other info addressing my little dilemma.

Here's another source to check and compare, and I haven't checked lately, but some of the USB wi-fi devices may gut provide better performance that the original Apple Airport cards, and maybe cheaper as well: :Smirk:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/wireless/

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think the question that should first be asked before any attempt to replace the Airport Card is... How do you know the card is bad? How was it tested and who told you it was bad?

OP
B
Reaction score
The pie wedge in the top menu bar went blank — no little arcs indicating the WiFi signal strength. I lost my connection. The pull-down menu from the pie wedge says "No AirPort card installed." The internal diagnostics say the same thing. Neither is correct because I've been using the AirPort card for as long as I've had the machine. I concluded that what it really means is the card stopped working, so it's not detected as being there. Am I right about that?

The Mac repair place tried to run their external diagnostics but couldn't cause the machine is too old to accept them.

The ethernet cable works, but WiFi doesn't.

OP
B
Reaction score
I ordered a USB hub and a WiFi adapter thru Amazon today.

I saw some of the same adapters MacSales offers when I searched Amazon.

I'll have the hub and adapter in about a week or 10 days. I hope they both work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you should try is to reset the SMC and NVRAM on your MacBook before swapping out the Airport Card. We have seen the same symptom before and sometimes the card is OK but for some reason will stop working and then start again. If after doing both those procedures and you still get no response, then change out the card.

OP
B
Reaction score
The information at the SMC and NVRAM links don't say either of them governs the AirPort card.

Please advise.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't hurt to try does it? Like it will take a minute to do each..... It's up to you. But like I said above, if it doesn't work, press on and replace the Airport Card.

OP
B
Reaction score
Resetting SMC and NVRAM did not remedy the AirPort card problem.

However, I did notice when I restarted or shut down then powered back on that the arcs in the pie wedge that indicate WiFi signal strength blinked on then off in a nanosecond.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, it could be that the Airport Card is defective as you suspected. Always good to try everything before spending money. Let us know if the new card fixes the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
I can't replace the card till I get home in mid-February. But since this MacBook is about 10 years old, I'm thinking it might be a better idea to buy a new one. Since the AirPort card failed, bigger problems could be close. If this machine died away from home, I'd be screwed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
BTW, the way to tell which Mac you have is to click on the little  in the upper left corner, then About This Mac. The resulting screen will show your Mac model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.