Macbook Air Lagging!!!! Help!!!

Reaction score
Hi all
I just purchased a new Macbook Air 2015 model this past summer for use in school and internet browsing. I love this computer except for one thing. . . . it is lagging and it is very annoying! I maxed the specs out on this model meaning I paid extra for the turbo boost for the processor and added the maximum RAM of 8GB so I shouldn't have any lagging issues, right??? When I am browsing the internet and scrolling down the screen, for instance, the computer lags constantly, rather than scroll smoothly. Sometimes, when I type in a word or phrase search in the browser, it lags as well. Does anyone know what I can do, if anything to help fix this? It is extremely frustrating to pay this much money for a "slow" computer.

Thanks
Tae

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you tried rebooting the computer?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a Macbook Air 2013 with and i5 and 4GB of memory running Sierra and it never lags. I stress it beyond what it should do as I have even edited and encoded video. So what you are experiencing with a 2015 should not be happening. Unless you have installed some app that is causing issues or have a malware problem, I would say it is hardware.

Some suggestion to try:
First I would download and run malwarebytes and run it just in case.

Next - has it always lagged or is this recent? If it is recent what apps have you installed if any? This could be the culprit.

Are you running any anti-virus apps? These can cause issues.

It it lagging with apps you are running or just on the internet? If it is the internet then it could be your internet connection.

You can always make an appointment at an apple store - if one is close - and have them run an in depth diagnostics.

Post back and let us know what you found.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I agree with Lisa, from your description, it sounds like internet issues.

Reaction score
Hi all
I just purchased a new Macbook Air 2015 model this past summer for use in school and internet browsing. I love this computer except for one thing. . . . it is lagging and it is very annoying! I maxed the specs out on this model meaning I paid extra for the turbo boost for the processor and added the maximum RAM of 8GB so I shouldn't have any lagging issues, right??? When I am browsing the internet and scrolling down the screen, for instance, the computer lags constantly, rather than scroll smoothly. Sometimes, when I type in a word or phrase search in the browser, it lags as well. Does anyone know what I can do, if anything to help fix this? It is extremely frustrating to pay this much money for a "slow" computer.

The problem you are experiencing is one that I hear about all the time. In fact, it is so common that I created a Web page to help folks deal with the problem. The good news is that the problem is almost always easy to fix, at no cost. Have a look at:

Macintosh OS X Slowdown Solutions
http://www.macattorney.com/sd.html

Go through the suggestions and see if one helps. (One of the suggestions will almost certainly help.) Please let us know what does it for you.

OP
H
Reaction score
I am at school and connected to the internet here. The speed is adequate enough and my computer is still lagging everytime I scroll and/or type. I get great speeds at home with my internet speeds running 80mbps download and 12 mbps upload. I have very minimal apps on my computer. I have noticed this problem pretty much since the beginning. I will try running the diagnostic mentioned and get back.

Thank you for all the input.

Reaction score
Try simple fixes first-

To start i would suggest clearing your browser cache, deleting cookies, and all newly added extensions. There's a possibility any recently added app or extension could be causing the slow down. Also, after doing this i would shut macbook down completely remove battery and then reinstall battery.Turn on and see if this helps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, after doing this i would shut macbook down completely remove battery and then reinstall battery.Turn on and see if this helps.

Not usually necessary on newer Apple notebooks with the non-user servicable battery...especially since on it is hard to access (need to do some disassembly). And on very new models...the battery is an array of batteries glued in place (not removeable).

Better solution is to do an SMC Reset...which accomplishes pretty much the same thing.:)

Everything else you mentined is spot on! Good stuff.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried different browsers Are they all lagging, or is it just the one? Is it Safari? Hold "shift" before opening Safari after a reboot.

Reaction score
Thanks!

Not usually necessary on newer Apple notebooks with the non-user servicable battery...especially since on it is hard to access (need to do some disassembly). And on very new models...the battery is an array of batteries glued in place (not removeable).

Better solution is to do an SMC Reset...which accomplishes pretty much the same thing.:)

Everything else you mentined is spot on! Good stuff.:)

- Nick
Thanks for correcting the part about the battery as this is more useful for older macbooks.
The newer macbooks now come in unibody construction where battery is not nearly as accessible. thanks.

OP
H
Reaction score
I have a Macbook Air 2013 with and i5 and 4GB of memory running Sierra and it never lags. I stress it beyond what it should do as I have even edited and encoded video. So what you are experiencing with a 2015 should not be happening. Unless you have installed some app that is causing issues or have a malware problem, I would say it is hardware.

Some suggestion to try:
First I would download and run malwarebytes and run it just in case.

Next - has it always lagged or is this recent? If it is recent what apps have you installed if any? This could be the culprit.

Are you running any anti-virus apps? These can cause issues.

It it lagging with apps you are running or just on the internet? If it is the internet then it could be your internet connection.

You can always make an appointment at an apple store - if one is close - and have them run an in depth diagnostics.

Post back and let us know what you found.

Lisa

Thank you very much! I went ahead followed your suggestion regarding installing the malwarebytes program - which was free - and removed several malware apps and software from my computer. That solved it!!! My macbook air is running much more smoothly and the way it should! Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Any chance some anti-virus or "Mac Cleanup" type utility apps got installed and running in the background that haven't been mentioned or even located???

What happens when booting up using Safe Boot Mode??? Things still slow and lag???

EDIT:
Oppps, Sorry, I missed the earlier 3:30pm post.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Glad Malwarebytes helped. Running it about once a month or when you notice an issue would be a good idea.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.