Macbook Air Keyboard Issues (Shift Key)

Reaction score
Hi all - after spilling coffee on my Macbook Air (early 2015) and engaging in all the appropriate post-coffee-spill activities, the keyboard was registering the command key as pressed 24/7. I ordered a replacement keyboard, but after I installed it determined that it was not quite the right model. Booted up regardless to see if the command key issue was resolved, and it was - but left shift was registering as pressed 24/7 and control wasn't working. No biggie, obviously a model/physical issue. Ordered the correct keyboard, installed, and booted - but oddly, the left shift key is still not working properly.

1) Shift key registers as pressed on boot, which forces safe boot unless I hold down option simultaneously.
2) At first proper boot of OS (non-safe boot), left shift is nonfunctional but right shift is fine. All other keys function normally.
3) If I close and re-open the laptop, left shift registers as pressed 24/7, even if I run a keymapper to shut off the key entirely.

Note - shift was NOT registering as pressed before the replacement. There is definitely not a physical issue (I am not somehow pressing the shift key) but after checking and re-checking the install I can't see any kind of problem there either.

Any idea what's happening?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The computer worked fine before the liquid spill...and not fine after the liquid spill. And...nothing done so far has fixed things...which logically means the problem part has not been replaced yet.

Unfortunately many times it's the logic board that ends up being the issue...this is a very expensive part...and many times it too much $$$ to be worth it. Maybe the problem is an inexpensive cable...but many times it's the logic board (since in ths case a replacement keyboard has already been tried). There really aren't that many parts in a MacBook Air to replace...the keyboard & logic board being two of the few.

We have a 27 page liquid spill thread that discuss's this sort of thing to death (unfortunately):

http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/271875-official-spilled-liquid-macbook-thread.html

Apologies for not being more positive. But liquids + computers really don't mix well. And we have lots of stories in that 27 page thread to attest to it.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I read through the liquids thread when it happened, so am aware of the bleak reality. I guess I'm still hopeful (or at least curious) because I would not have expected the keyboard replacement to fix anything at all if I were dealing with a deeper-seated issue. Given that it did fix the command key, and that there have been no additional symptoms, I'm still interested in pinpointing what's wrong. While it might end up being the logic board, I'm enjoying tinkering enough for the time being to not entirely give up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Much of the Air's circuitry runs through the trackpad so it's possible that something is funky with the trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.