Macbook Air HD not visible in disk utility.

Reaction score
First post and in need of help. My spouse has a Macbook Air. Well, to make a long story short, she deleted the Mac HD folder from the disk utilities. So, when I reboot it holding down the "control" button I can't re-install Lion because it can't find a location to install it on. Can someone please help me?

Big Fred

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

First post and in need of help. My spouse has a Macbook Air. Well, to make a long story short, she deleted the Mac HD folder from the disk utilities. So, when I reboot it holding down the "control" button I can't re-install Lion because it can't find a location to install it on. Can someone please help me?

Not sure what's going on with your wife's MacBook Air, but she couldn't have deleted the Macintosh HD folder from Disk Utilities. I don't believe it can be deleted from the Finder either.

To boot the MacBook Air to recovery, hold down the command and the R keys and then restart. Let us know if you can get into recovery and we'll go from there.

OP
bigfred00
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. We did all you stated still the same. Attached is the view we have in disk utilities. Any ideas?:(

Thanks!

Fred

Disk Utility photo 2.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like your wife somehow removed the Macintosh HD (not folder as you stated) when she was booted from the recovery partition and using Disk Utility. The only thing you can do now is to reinstall OS X using internet recovery. When you first booted using Command + R that should have give you a menu of options. One of those options was to reinstall. That's what you need to do.

OP
bigfred00
Reaction score
It looks like your wife somehow removed the Macintosh HD (not folder as you stated) when she was booted from the recovery partition and using Disk Utility. The only thing you can do now is to reinstall OS X using internet recovery. When you first booted using Command + R that should have give you a menu of options. One of those options was to reinstall. That's what you need to do.

Thanks we tried that several times also, but it doesn't recognize a location to install it to, since the Macintosh HD is not visible in disk utilities. How do we create and/or get back the Macintosh HD in the disk utilities section?

Thanks.

Fred

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use Disk Utility to partition the drive and name it Macintosh HD. Format it as Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID scheme. (The GUID scheme should be the default.) Then proceed with the install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.