MacBook Air - Dropbox With Jet Drive Lite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
Hi,

I've fitted a 128Gb Jetdrive Lite to my Macbook Air SD slot to increase storage capacity so I have space to use cloud services.

I installed the Jetdrive Toolbox so that the drive is mounted after sleep, that seems to work fine.

The problem I'm getting is with my Dropbox & Copy folders. They work fine except for when I wake my MBA from sleep, where both Dropbox & Copy display messages that their corresponding folders cannot be found, even though the drive is mounted.

I contacted Transcend and they suggested some options in the Energy Saver settings.

1. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62799175/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-08%20at%206.28.43%20PM.png

2. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62799175/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-08%20at%206.28.38%20PM.png

I already had these settings (apart from never turning off the screen), so can anyone suggest any other possible fixes, or is it just not going to be possible to use this drive in the way I hoped.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So basically what Transcend had you do was to prevent the computer from ever going to sleep and thus totally removing that from the equation, that hardly seem like a reasonable solution..

Are you keeping the Dropbox/Copy folders on this Jetdrive?

OP
Moro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
Hi Ashwin,

Thanks, sorry I don't see how those settings prevent the Mac from sleeping, and yes, when I installed Dropbox & Copy I chose the Jetdrive as the location for those folders.

Regards,
Bill

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless I'm mistaken and my Mac brethern will correct me if I am..

I believe setting the display to never sleep is akin to having the machine stay on all the time. If that's the case, they've basically worked around the issue of the Jetdrive not being mounted automatically for use by the Dropbox and Copy services..

Now, if you are closing the lid of the computer and then opening it later on, then that's a different story and this setting changes would have no effect on that. That is forcing the computer to go to sleep and wake up again and go through the motions of re-mounting everything that was there before..

Now, after waking up from sleep can you indeed browse the Dropbox and Copy folders on the Jetdrive and see the data there?

OP
Moro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I see what you mean, however I didn't change the screen settings, but I did have all others set as they suggested.

Yes, I'm closing the lid to sleep the Mac and when opening I get the two windows as in the screenshot, but the Jetdrive is mounted & visible on the desktop. I'm guessing it just doesn't get mounted fast enough before DB & Copy look for their folders.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r66qjuhhqm1bkqd/Error.tiff?dl=0

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are probably correct in that the volume is likely getting mounted after the Dropbox and Copy services..

Not sure there is a way of ordering the services to come up after the drive is mounted..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.