Macbook air 2020 keyboard keys change.

krs

Reaction score
Since it is now such a pleasure to add an image in this forum, I decided to take a few minutes to show both keyboards - Hungarian on top, English (International) on bottom.

Apple Keyboards.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Maybe I'm going blind, but I don't see any extra keys on either one. It's one-for-one on the actual physical keys. Just different assignments, which is what I would have expected to make it easy to set the region for the machine in software and just have to change key caps.

OP
K
Reaction score
Maybe I'm going blind, but I don't see any extra keys on either one. It's one-for-one on the actual physical keys. Just different assignments, which is what I would have expected to make it easy to set the region for the machine in software and just have to change key caps.

I think yeah if the change the key caps it would be one by one then. In the end do u recommend me to let them change the caps for my brand new MAcbook air ir just buy stickers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Charlie, if you use System Preferences, Language and Region, and change the Region and Country I think the key mapping is completely converted to that language.

But that's not necessary in order to write in another language. I suppose I should have mentioned that in my other post. Using the optional "Input Sources" allows me to write in Greek, Cyrillic (Russian), Korean, Japanese, and two different variations of Chinese. Actually, there is much more than that.

As I stated above, it's been years since we have had to do that here in our ministry but it does work well. All that without changing the Language and Region.

But we are drifting a bit here. As for the OP, it seems that he has it under control with his local Apple reseller. And "krs" pointed out the minor differences between the keyboards, so he should be okay.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think yeah if the change the key caps it would be one by one then. In the end do u recommend me to let them change the caps for my brand new MAcbook air ir just buy stickers ?

Don't use stickers. That turns out to be awkward and really not a good solution. It seems your dealer knows what they're doing. I'm sure they will give you some sort of a warranty so that if a key cap comes loose or breaks, they will repair it for you. Be sure to ask them about that.

krs

Reaction score
That's because I posted the English International keyboard which is what I recommend be used as the conversion with the key caps.

If you look at the keyboard in front of you (or the English US version), there is no key between the shift key and the "Z" key like in the image I posted.

The International English keyboard is a match button-wise for the Hungarian one, the US English one (which I looked at originally) is not.

And yes, I agree with Charlie - I would definitely not go for stickers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
But that's not necessary in order to write in another language. I suppose I should have mentioned that in my other post. Using the optional "Input Sources" allows me to write in Greek, Cyrillic (Russian), Korean, Japanese, and two different variations of Chinese. Actually, there is much more than that.
True, and I've used that method myself when I only need a word or two in Greek. But changing the regional setting/country to Hungary, for example, should change the entire keyboard mapping permanently. So changing a Hungarian keyboard to United States English, for example, should result in a map just like on a US Keyboard. And that is what the OP wanted, if I understand correctly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Don't use stickers. That turns out to be awkward and really not a good solution. It seems your dealer knows what they're doing. I'm sure they will give you some sort of a warranty so that if a key cap comes loose or breaks, they will repair it for you. Be sure to ask them about that.

Alright! I think i will do it and i will ask them to give my hungarian caps back! Thanks all for your help i really appreciate it !

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help! You really helped,, i think i will eventually let them change the caps.
Thanks one more time

Reaction score
Don't know if it helps but a few years back I bought a Air on eBay a few years back. Turns out it was Danish in origin and they had stuck a UK keyboard overlay on it. Worked fine

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Mac-Forums mobile app

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An overlay will work, as will stickers, but both are not good solutions. Changing out an entire keyboard assembly can also be expensive and can lead to other problems.

Swapping out the keycaps (if done right) is probably the best way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.