MacBook Air 2020/21 adapter

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for a moment of your time.

I bought a new MacBook Air earlier this year; an M1 2020. The gorgeous thing has two Thunderbolt ports; as you experts will know.

One of the ports is permanently connected to a monitor, but I wish to find the best option adapter for the other port. I wish it to allow me to connect the standard/issued Thunderbolt charger cable and a USB.

I have not found one which delivers those options alone and believe I shall have to go for one which includes a HDMI or VGA or such.

Is the only option the original Apple cable/adapter accessory (...I think that is the USB-C Digital Multi-port Adapter coming in at $69) or is there an alternative option which is compatible with an M1 2020 MacBook Air and furnishes the connectivity I wish (Thunderbolt 3 and USB) at a lower price?

Many thanks for your time and expertise. Most grateful.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1.Go to Amazon
2. Type in "usb c thunderbolt hub for mac"
3. Hit Return

Literally hundreds of options will appear.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi MacInWin,

I am most grateful to you for the time and expertise in furnishing the above. This Forum has always been so welcoming of and helpful for the tech-challenged; for which read Luddite, in my case.

Given the variety of options out there, presenting with considerable disparity in price, what I was rather hoping for was the sort of answers furnished to previous questions from me, that is knowledge/experience regarding the better/more reliable makes, those which might have performed better and/or one is able to trust....and/or ones from which one should run a mile....or, to safeguard the machine only use Apple products. I have been bitten, previously, by purchasing items which claimed compatibility and certain capabilities but which proved to be dramatically ill-matched to the task and risked damaging my machine.

Still, grateful for the pointer to Amazon and the right question to pose of the retailer. Thanks for your time; all help appreciated.

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Dave, what you get is entirely dependent on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. You didn't really mention either of those so I couldn't get more specific. Not that I would, anyway, as what you get needs to be based on YOUR needs, not my ideas.

As far as what to avoid, I generally try to stay away from brand names I don't recognize. Good names, like Anker, Belkin, OWC, and some others, may be more successful for you. On Amazon, I would pick a product with 4.5 stars and 40,000 ratings than one with 5 stars but 220 reviews. But any given device may or may not be good, even if you buy it from Apple. But in general, if it's inexpensive, it's cheap.

As for general guidelines on what to get, as I said, it depends on what you want to do. All you mentioned was to pass through the power cable and have USB. What kind of USB? How many ports? What other things might you want (video/audio/storage cards)? How much do you want to spend? How small do you want it to be? Do you want one that "hugs" the Mac, or is a dongle ok? How big can the "box" be at the end of the dongle, or hugging the Mac? Ethernet? Any other factors?

So you can go to Amazon, or directly to OWC, or B&H Photo in NYC, or other large Mac vendors and search what they have, decide the features you want and how much you are willing to spend and make your decision that way. If you can find one with a refund policy if you don't like it, that would be best.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey MacInWin,

Most generous of you to pick this up once more. Much appreciated.

Apologies for my Luddite-like lack of detail.

I am seeking to procure an adapter to furnish connectivity between my MacBook Air M1 2020 Thunderbolt 4 port (I understand Thunderbolt 3 accessories work) and USB A (what my tech-stupid self just knows as USB) and my Thunderbolt 4 charger for my MacBook Air; ie enable me to plug in a USB A and my charger to the adapter, connected to the MB Air port.

Whilst most of us dislike paying above what is necessary, the drivers for me are compatibility and functionality. If I am able to secure one which works well without breaking the bank, then all the happier!

Your direction toward Anker and Belkin was exactly what I was hoping for and I am most grateful for it.

I have searched....but my search is rather inclining me to return to Apple and purchase one of theirs, in order to ensure provision of the connectivity I seek in a fully compatible item.

I shall bank the knowledge that Belkin and Anker are trustworthy manufacturers and thank you for that wrinkle.

Very best and many thanks.

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.