MacBook Air 2017 touch pad and keyboard issue

Reaction score
The state of confusion, Sheridan Wyoming for mail
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2017, Intel I5 CPU, Intel HD 6000 graphics, 8 GB RAM, 480GB SSD.
The issue has already been solved but I figured that I'd put out the info as doing a site search did not come up with any results that applied to my issue.

I got the MacBook Air as refurbished for $429.00 USD. LOL! I hope that was as good a deal as I thought. ;)

It was a bit odd as the keyboard and touch pad did work but I'd have to repeatedly keep hitting the power button for the thing to start up. After that it would take at least 5 minutes for the system to warm up for the keyboard to function. The touch pad was the same. After the system was warmed up everything was fine which indicated to me that it was a connection issue as both the keyboard and touch pad seem to use a common internal USB connection.

So I opened the thing up which is quite easy with needing the removal of ten P5 Pentalobe screws on the bottom. I had already done this to replace the original 128GB SSD with a 480GB SSD. P5 Pentalobe screws are not all that common so you will likely need to purchase a driver on-line as did I but I live in a small town.

Once the bottom is removed you will need to remove the battery. This requires extreme care as the system uses a lithium polymer battery which can be dangerous and can even explode if punctured. I suggest only handling the metal frame that holds the battery cells for safety. Once the battery is removed you will see the bottom of the touch pad with a small ribbon cable connecting everything together. CAREFULLY remove the cable as it is a bit delicate. On both the battery connector and touch pad/keyboard cable pull out as straight as possible as these are delicate cables. Use contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol of at least 90%. Do NOT use rubbing alcohol as it will leave a film on the contacts. A Q-Tip works well for cleaning. Clean the contacts on the ribbon cable and re-seat. Put the thing back together.

It has been about ten days and I've experienced no further issue.

Even though I solved this myself I thought that my solution might help someone sometime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.