Mac Word-Search Function Useless-Weird!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" i9 (2019) Monterey. MBP 13" (2011) High Sierra. iPhone 6S+. Canon TS5051 Printer.
Ever since going Mac in 2011, I found word-searches of either the whole system, or external (WD 'My Passport for Mac') hard drives, present a list of totally-unrelated files, despite viewing 'By Name'. The required files are often not even anywhere in the long list given, and had to be searched-for, manually, by 'Date Created'. This is a really weak feature of Macs, which they never sorted out. Don't recall the same frustration with Windows. Any ideas?

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree with Bob (ferrarr). I have both Easy Find and Find Any File.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ever since going Mac in 2011, I found word-searches of either the whole system, or external (WD 'My Passport for Mac') hard drives, present a list of totally-unrelated files, despite viewing 'By Name'. The required files are often not even anywhere in the long list given, and had to be searched-for, manually, by 'Date Created'. This is a really weak feature of Macs, which they never sorted out. Don't recall the same frustration with Windows. Any ideas?
Depends on the "word" you search for. If you look for something common, it may well be in all of those "totally-unrelated files" you referred to. On the other hand, if you want a certain document and can think of a rare word that is in the document, that can return a shorter list.

I also use FAF and EasyFind. Both work well.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" i9 (2019) Monterey. MBP 13" (2011) High Sierra. iPhone 6S+. Canon TS5051 Printer.
I tried Easy Find: it is much better than Apple's pathetic default search feature, thanks. Find Any File was not as good or comprehensive as Easy Find, and FAF looks to be angling for purchase.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Find Any File was not as good or comprehensive as Easy Find, and FAF looks to be angling for purchase.

Correct. EasyFind is freeware while FAF is not. And by the way, I never found Windows search to be useful either. I can remember using other utilities to do the searching. Trying to find something in the Windows Registry is a nightmare. o_O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I tried Easy Find: it is much better than Apple's pathetic default search feature, thanks. Find Any File was not as good or comprehensive as Easy Find, and FAF looks to be angling for purchase.

I'm not saying that Apple's Spotlight couldn't be improved, but it has improved from the original Stoplight I used to refer to it as, and both Find Any File and Easy Find are both must-have apps as far as I'm concerned, but you might want to check out some of the sites that give some hints and tutorials and even some tricks for using a Mac Spotlight search:

And don't forget some search tricks when doing Mac searches using quotes etc:

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
+1 Easy Find for me although I do have FAF too. I personally find Spotlight more useable for day to day use, I seldom use Find from a Finder Window or Command + F unless I know exactly what I'm looking for. These days I do use Command + F in browser windows to find content though. It can be particularly handy on this web page. see example below; Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 11.48.19 am.png

Reaction score
I use Houdah Spot - not free, but very capable.

Cur

Reaction score
Sorry, I am coming to this conversation late. I went to the App Store to download "Easy Find". That didn't come up for me but "Easy Finder 2" did. Is this a later version of "Easy Find" or a totally different search program? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I am coming to this conversation late. I went to the App Store to download "Easy Find". That didn't come up for me but "Easy Finder 2" did. Is this a later version of "Easy Find" or a totally different search program? Thanks!

I don't know, but I do know I avoid the Apple Store for such utilities if possible which are often crippled for some strange reason apple has for doing so.

You can get a genuine full copy of and find a real "Easy Find" version here:

And don't forget to get a real full copy of "Find Any File" (FAF) here:

Both required apps IMHO. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Cur

Reaction score
Thank you Patrick. I downloaded Easy Find and did one quick test. It found files in my Finder, but not any in my Evernote, where I keep many notes and reminders. Should it find files outside of Finder? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding of Easy Find is that it does not search within an app such as Evernote. Not sure I understand what you mean... "files outside of Finder"? Or, are you referring to "words/phrases" outside of Finder?

Cur

Reaction score
I meant find files containing the search term. So, it seems Easy Find does not search the contents all programs residing on my Mac. Only those that would be found within Finder? Please excuse my ignorance of such things! Thank you for your thoughts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the sidebar of EasyFind should be this:
Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 9.30.32 PM.png
Select File Contents to search inside files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the exact setup I am using.
Then it's not going to search inside a file, if that button is not clicked. I only took a screenshot of what I had set up last time to show where it was. Click on the "File Contents" radio button to have EF search INSIDE the files.

Cur

Reaction score
By golly, I think you broke the code for me! "Contents" seems to be the key, duh!

Many thanks. I will work with this. But maybe stay tuned for more questions...

Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By golly, I think you broke the code for me! "Contents" seems to be the key, duh!

Also give Find Any File.app a try and click on the "Name" button for other search options and locations. It may be faster for your particular use, or maybe not. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.