Mac to connect automatically to bluetooth mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (2012), OSX 10.13 High Sierra
Hi,

I want my mouse to connect as soon as I switch it ON.

I googled it and found an article in the Washington Post in 03/2011.

But the solution doesn't work.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...luetooth-mouse/2011/03/22/AFHs6KeB_story.html

There is no gear icon as mentioned. I suppose that referred to an earlier version of OSX.

If I have switched OFF my mouse, then I have to go to System Preferences>Mouse and then ask it to reconnect.

Any suggestions, please.

Thanks
Mukund

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mukund

Nice to see you back again.

First off; is this Apple's Magic Mouse or a third party Mouse? If the latter, what Mouse is it? The Magic Mouse is easy to set up and it will remain so after switching off, then on again.

But to be more specific in assistance, we need to know the details of the Mouse, please.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it is an Apple Magic(?) mouse. Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Quick reply as always, Mikund. Many thanks.

IF it's the Magic Mouse, you can tell immediately because it has rechargeable batteries and to recharge, you have to connect the Magic Mouse to the Mac via USB cable - which is also how you activate it.

Meaning, you connect, via USB to the Mac, then remove the connection and this activates the Mouse.

If it's a Mouse with replaceable batteries, then firstly make sure the batteries are new and inserted the right way round in the Mouse - I know, I've put then in the wrong way round in the past. Then with on.

Once switched on and connected, when you switch off and then on again, it should reconnect automatically.

In fact, you don't absolutely have to switch off because after a period of inactivity - ie the Mouse not moving at all, it will go into a sort of sleep mode. This is really designed for Desktops where you stop work, keep the Mac on (in sleep mode) and walk away. The Mouse should switch into sleep mode.

But with a portable such as your MacBook Pro, switching off is desirable. But switching on again should, as I say, reconnect automatically. It certainly does for my wife's MacBook Pro.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ian,

I do not charge the rechargeable batteries in the mouse by plugging it via USB charger connection. In fact there is no facility to connect the mouse to anything because there is no socket on it.
Its a very sleek mouse with no Part code or Srl No. written anywhere on it.

I don't know if that is what is called a "Magic Mouse". That's why the ? in my earlier post.

I checked out the System Preferences but could not find any setting for the mouse to connect automatically when the Mac is ON.

Hence my query.

Cheers,
Mukund

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mukund

From what you say, you have an original Apple Mouse which takes replaceable batteries whether rechargeable or new. So, I assume you replace the batteries either when the Mouse stops working or, much better, by going into Systems Preferences > Mouse where the battery level is shown.

By doing the latter, you can foretell when the batteries are near to exhaustion, and replace them. This applies to your Keyboard too if it's the Apple version.

I had your situation for many years before the "Magic Mouse" appeared. In fact, my three previous iMacs are were donated by me to others and still work fine with the original battery-replacement Mouse.

As you wisely said, there is no System Preferences setting about connecting automatically because they are designed to do so.

As I've remarked above, all the Standard Mouse(s) I've had, including the the one my wife uses with her MacBook Pro, connect automatically when switched on; even if switched off for a few days at a time.

My conclusion would be that there is a fault with your Mouse and may need a replacement.

Sorry to be so "negative".

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.