Mac shortcut key ^|

Reaction score
I am running Visual Studio for Mac in an iMac and there is a file reformat command which has a keyboard shortcut of ^|

I have the vertical line key but the ^ is above the number 6. I saw somewhere where the ^ is also a reference to the CTRL key but CTRL | does not work.
On my keyboard the vertical line is the shifted position of the / key so I tried Shift CTRL | and that did not work either.

What am I missing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am running Visual Studio for Mac in an iMac and there is a file reformat command which has a keyboard shortcut of ^|

I have the vertical line key but the ^ is above the number 6. I saw somewhere where the ^ is also a reference to the CTRL key but CTRL | does not work.
On my keyboard the vertical line is the shifted position of the / key so I tried Shift CTRL | and that did not work either.

What am I missing?

Well for one, the vertical line is the upper case of the \ key not the / key. A typo maybe?

I would imagine the shortcut is likely referring to the control key + upper case of the \ key. I have no idea why the shortcut doesn't work for the Mac version but suspect that it might only be for the Windows version. Microsoft would like you to think that both versions are interchangeable for everything just like they do with their Office apps. The truth is that they are not. ;)

OP
P
Reaction score
You are correct, it is above the \ key.

This is no longer a problem. I hate to admit it, but the vertical | they meant is the letter i. CTRL i works to reformat the code.

I think I need a vacation!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to fault Microsoft. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.