Mac Pro SSD Upgrade

Reaction score
My question is very simple:

Is there any difference in speed if you connect your SSD drive to one of the two SATA ports on the motherboard vs. if you put it into a converter box and use one of the 4 standard bays?

I will be using a Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD hard drive. And my computer is an old Mac Pro 1.1 upgraded to a 2.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
My question is very simple:

Is there any difference in speed if you connect your SSD drive to one of the two SATA ports on the motherboard vs. if you put it into a converter box and use one of the 4 standard bays?

I will be using a Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD hard drive. And my computer is an old Mac Pro 1.1 upgraded to a 2.1

What are the standard bays connected to? If they are also connected to the SATA port its likely to run the same. However. You need to check and see which ports are faster and which ones are slower.

Many motherboards will have about 2 really fast SATA ports, then 2 or more slower ones to save money. Often we just stick the slower ones to stuff like DVD drives and what not and keep the faster ones for SSDs or faster HDDs.

I recommend you find out what motherboard was used in your system and find the specs on it. Preferably the layout print of the motherboard labeling which ports are which. That will be your golden ticket.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.