Mac Pro Purchase

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thought I'd share my latest computer purchase with everyone.

It's a 2008 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 (yes it's not a brand new model Mac Pro)!;) The exciting part is I got it for $99 bucks on eBay (plus shipping).

Because it's a Mac Pro 3,1 (versus 1,1, or 2,1)…it can run up to OS 10.11 (El Capitan)…without any "tricks" or "hacks".:)

How many Apple computers at the moment can run El Capitan…have a Geekbench 3 score of over 11,000…and only cost $99 bucks (plus shipping)??;)

Gonna have a little fun with this. Install some extra ram…install a wifi card…maybe upgrade the video card…maybe upgrade the CPU's.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sounds like you are going to have some fun. BTW I could function quite well with some of your cast off gear.:Cool:
BTW you and I ought to get together on one of the Sunday chats and discuss the pros and cons of buying / upgrading older machines. I'd do it more often if my wallet and floor space could accommodate it.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you are going to have some fun. BTW I could function quite well with some of your cast off gear.:Cool:

My problem is (and I get into a lot of trouble for)…I tend to do much more purchasing than casting off!;) But in this case I'm hoping to break that cycle…by purchasing something…and selling something.

I currently have a quad core Mac Pro 1,1 (1st generation)…that I upgraded to 8-cores. It's a fine computer (get's over 10,000 Geekbench 3 score)…but because it's a Mac Pro 1,1…the OS is limited to 10.7.5. There are ways of running newer OS version's on Mac Pro 1,1's…but I prefer not to mess with these…and simply purchase a Mac Pro that can run newer OS versions "the right way"!:)

I should be able to sell the 8-core Mac Pro 1,1 for about the same price as I just purchased the 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 (including the shipping). Or if I'm lucky (because of the great price I got the Mac Pro 3,1 for)…I might even come out ahead a bit!:)

Maybe enough for a Happy Meal at Mickey D's!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe enough for a couple of Happy Meals if you are lucky:\

I had one of the Mac Pro 1.1 machines. I was using it to basically grind away on things like video conversion. I also had it running basically as a music server on my home network,

I thought about trying to patch it to go above 10.7.5 but didn't want to chance bricking it. Before I could get up the courage to try it the thing died. Pretty good chance it was the poor supply but I've never tacked that kind of testing. By that point I had the MacBook Pro so I didn't put anything into it.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have been seriously tempted to pick up a 3.1 or newer Mac Pro to use as my workstation computer, but didn't want to sink a lot of cash in old technology. But, at that price I'd jump on one. :)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been seriously tempted to pick up a 3.1 or newer Mac Pro to use as my workstation computer, but didn't want to sink a lot of cash in old technology. But, at that price I'd jump on one. :)

I got very lucky with the price. $99 is unheard of for an 8-core Mac Pro 3,1. Realistic everyday price on eBay for 8-core Mac Pro 3,1's is really more like $250-$350.

One thing I always say about purchasing used Apple computers…stay away from the online resellers (even the good one's)…if price is a concern. Just got a regular email I get from a used computer reseller website…and for the same:

- 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 I got for $99
- 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 that usually sells for $250-$350 on eBay

This online reseller is charging $769! Yes $769 for the same computer I got for $99. Yikes!!!

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got very lucky with the price. $99 is unheard of for an 8-core Mac Pro 3,1. Realistic everyday price on eBay for 8-core Mac Pro 3,1's is really more like $250-$350.

One thing I always say about purchasing used Apple computers…stay away from the online resellers (even the good one's)…if price is a concern. Just got a regular email I get from a used computer reseller website…and for the same:

- 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 I got for $99
- 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 that usually sells for $250-$350 on eBay

This online reseller is charging $769! Yes $769 for the same computer I got for $99. Yikes!!!

- Nick
Which has been what has held me back . . . too easy to end up with $1500 to $2500 after upgrades invested in a 6+ year old machine. Problem is the new 2013 version Mac Pro isn't what I want, wish they would update the older model with new tech.
Also been tempted by the hack route, but not interested in the maintenance.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love to have gotten one of the "trash cans" when I got my iMac but the price difference made the decision for me. Not much Craigslist activity in my immediate area or I might have gone that route.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been quite a while since I've seen a "trash can" Mac Pro on my local Craig's List.

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bit of an update. Received the eBay purchased Mac Pro last Friday. Was SERIOUSLY surprised that the roughly 45 pound package had ZERO physical damage to it (way to go Fed Ex)!:)

Immediately unboxed it & booted it up to verify operation & specs. Operationally it worked fine…and spec-wise…it was mostly correct. I say "mostly correct" because:

- The exterior was supposed to only have scuffs & small scratches from normal use. It actually had a nasty gouge in one of the feet/handles.
- Missing one of the hard drive caddies (supposed to have 4, only had 3).
- Missing one of the ram riser cards. Without the 2nd ram riser card…would only have 4 ram slots instead of 8 ram slots.
- Ebay description sort of indicated two graphics cards (auction title said one thing…auction description said another).

* Sent seller a reply with the issues.
* Their initial reply was "Sold as is".
* I replied saying, "Auction never said that". And I mentioned the gouge in the case (not supposed to be there & sent them a photo). One of the auction photos showed two ram riser cards (not one). A Mac Pro should come with 4 HD caddies (not 3…unless otherwise indicated). And there's the mess-up regarding the video cards.

Long story short. They're sending me the:

- 2nd ram riser card
- 4th hard drive caddy
- 2nd video card (came with a 256meg video card & sending me a 512meg video card)
- AND…they are refunding me $25 for the trouble's!:)

I should mention that although it may sound like a lot of drama…there was actually very little drama. The seller is a "professional ebay seller/store"…so they always replied VERY quickly to my messages. They were VERY professional…and were very polite & accommodating.

I've been an eBay member for 16 years (since 2000)…and this was probably one of the best eBay purchase experiences ever. Sure…the computer should have arrived issue free. But hey…I understand that mistakes happen. They REALLY did an excellent job addressing everything. I only paid $99 + shipping for a 2008 8-core Mac Pro 3,1 (a terrific price). I'm going to end up with 2 video cards…and I got a $25 refund!

I'm mentioning all this because some folks swear they will never purchase via eBay…and I always say…it really ain't that bad. Ebay & Craig's List are great places to get great deals on used Apple hardware!:)

- Nick

p.s. Waiting on the goodies to arrive later this week.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.