MAC PRO (EARLY 2009) Freezing up

Reaction score
Hello. I have a MAC PRO (Early 2009) that is running OS 10.11 and I had this computer since 2009 and has been running great ever since. But I just noticed it started to freeze up. The screen would freeze. I could still move the mouse around but I couldn't click on anything and the keyboard wasn't working. I held down on the power button to restart. After it started up again it was okay. But this has happened twice in the last few days and I'm not doing anything different or using any new programs. I've been on OS 10.11 since 2017. So I'm not sure why is suddenly is doing this. I know recently my speaker on the MAC monitor is going out. Not sure if it is just the monitor. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You might try opening Activity Monitor and keeping it running in a window on the desktop, if you have room. Then if it freezes again, see if there is anything shown as "not responding" in AM. The non-responsive application may be hanging up and not releasing the system.

EDIT: To improve the probability that the non-responsive app will be visible, go to the CPU tab and click on the column header for CPU % to show the heaviest users at the top. It's likely that the culprit, if there is one, will be using CPU when it goes non-responsive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.