Mac Pro 5,1 vs Mac Mini Quad i7 for Pro Tools 11

Reaction score
Good day,

This is my 2nd post here, thank you all in advance for any forthcoming advice/response/suggestions....here goes;

I've been faithfully using my Mac Pro 1,1 for several years without any issues. I'm currently running PT8 on Lion, but recently purchased the upgrade to PT10-11 in December. Let me say right from the beginning that I'm not interested in "risking" my workflow for a Firmware "Hack" as I've read about others doing. I can't afford to be down and unproductive because of a "possible" failed attempt to bring my Mac Pro 1,1 up to snuff. Apparently, the Firmware "hack" has worked for some folks, but it didn't go so smoothly for others either for whatever reason. Bottom line for me is the 32 Bit EFI, and Pro Tools which I use DAILY, and NEED.

Having said that, I'm pretty much sold on getting a Mac Pro 2010 to move forward in this 64-Bit world that we live in now, but a buddy of mine is trying to convince me that the 2012 Mac Mini Quad i7 is a really good contender for what I need moving forward, but I’m not 100% sure about that…hence my post here for advice from others. Without a doubt, it is definitely a very powerful Mini, way much more than my current Mac Pro 1,1, but I've gotten spoiled with the 4 Slots for hard drives, and the expansion slots. He had me there for a minute, but I’m trying to keep my eyes on the prize of the Mac Pro 5,1 as I move forward.

I'm currently running Pro Tools 8 on my Mac Pro 1,1 and it's VERY STABLE. Out of necessity, if I need to use Pro Tools 11, I have to do so on my portable rig with my Macbook Pro, but the magic happens on my Mac Pro 1,1...that's where the Mac Pro 5,1 will come in to the picture and save the day by allowing me to use the upgraded Pro Tools 11, and the soon to be released Pro Tools 12.

If I was a Photographer/Graphic/Web Designer/Videographer etc, I would definitely keep my 1,1 and continue using it. Adobe CS5, Final Cut, Logic, etc works just fine on the Mac Pro 1,1, but Pro Tools is my weapon of choice, and the Mac Pro 1,1 is no longer cutting it. Having said that, as we PT users know that the latest and current Pro Tools 11 has made some great advancement as a 64-Bit application which leaves the Mac Pro 1,1 out of the equation.

So to make a LONG STORY LONGER, I’d appreciate any responses with Pros/Cons about a Mac Pro 5,1 or the Mac Mini Quad i7 as I move forward with Pro Tools 11, and the soon to be released Pro Tools 12. The Mac Mini Quad is VERY POWERFUL, and it’s not bad at all, I'm just not sure if it's a good purchase for me right now.

I apologize for being so long-winded, but I wanted to explain in detail my current situation.

Thanks for your time in reading this, and the forthcoming response(s).

All The Best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For mine 13th I would go the way you wish, the 2010 Mac Pro. You are experienced with the Mac Pro model, and as you know a second, third of fourth internal hard drive can be used for backups ever so much quicker than an external drive.

Minimum requirement would be adequate memory, at least 8GB, and at the moment you can probably get $350-$400 for your Mac Pro 1.1.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So to make a LONG STORY LONGER, I’d appreciate any responses with Pros/Cons about a Mac Pro 5,1 or the Mac Mini Quad i7 as I move forward with Pro Tools 11, and the soon to be released Pro Tools 12. The Mac Mini Quad is VERY POWERFUL, and it’s not bad at all, I'm just not sure if it's a good purchase for me right now.

At least 5 things to consider:

1. Which Mac Pro 5,1 models are you looking at? 4-core, 6-core, 8-core, 12-core. There's a great chance that the 6, 8, or 12 core Mac Pro 5,1's are going to way outperform a quad-core Mac-Mini.
2. With almost any Mac Pro 5,1…video/graphics performance is going to be much better with the Mac Pro's.
3. Mac Pro 5,1 has an optical drive. A 2012 quad-core Mac-Mini doesn't.
4. Mac Pro's can have up to 4 internal hard drives.
5. Of course a Mac Pro may or will be more expensive.

Things to consider.:)

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Thanks Harryb, I appreciate your response...I'll see if I get a few more responses as well.

All The Best

OP
Reaction score
At least 5 things to consider:

1. Which Mac Pro 5,1 models are you looking at? 4-core, 6-core, 8-core, 12-core. There's a great chance that the 6, 8, or 12 core Mac Pro 5,1's are going to way outperform a quad-core Mac-Mini.
2. With almost any Mac Pro 5,1…video/graphics performance is going to be much better with the Mac Pro's.

- Nick

Hey pig003, thanks for chiming in. As far as Video/Graphics Performance as you mentioned, it won'tt really matter a whole lot to my decision as I move forward.

I might use Photoshop here and there, Adobe Premiere Pro, or Final Cut for family videos, but nothing on a serious level to care about my basic skills in those areas.

I'm a Musician/Producer that cares about a ROCK SOLID System for my Studio Work. All other uses of the computer is of no relevance to my considerations as far as Video/Graphics are concerned...For me, it's all about THE SOUND...NO VIDEO...NO PHOTOGRAPHY...NO WEB DESIGN....ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC.

As far as the Video Card is concerned, I just need to be able to drive (2) monitors for my setup. I've been using the stock ATI Radeon XT-1900 Card for dual monitors for years, and it's served me well. Having said that, anything in a 5,1 or Mac Mini is already an upgrade from the ATI Radeon XT-1900.

As to your question about how many Cores, I'm still researching, but I can say that with my Mac Pro 1,1 Quad 2.66, I've been able to handle pretty much everything that I've thrown at it over the years. Post Production is where the Mac is most taxed with my plugins during mixing.

Thanks again for your response

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From your answers…it sounds like (even if you didn't say it specifically)…that you're leaning towards the Mac-Mini.

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
Reaction score
Not so fast there Nick...the jury is still out, and I'm really only kind of considering the Mac Mini i7 Quad because of an Apollo Thunderbolt Interface for Post Production. I didn't mention it before, but that's primarily the only reason that could be a DEAL BREAKER for me.

I RARELY use my laptop in my home studio, and that's where a Thunderbolt Equipped Mini would've came into the picture if I decided against the Mac Pro 5,1.

I think I'll still come out in the end with a 5,1 Mac Pro because I can use my Macbook Pro with the Apollo Thunderbolt Interface if it boils down to bare necessities.

The Mac Pro 5,1 was THE ONLY THING ON MY RADAR, until my buddy got into my head about the Mini Server i7 Quad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac Pro 5,1 was THE ONLY THING ON MY RADAR, until my buddy got into my head about the Mini Server i7 Quad.

I think that if you do decide to go with a Mac Pro 5,1…you need to decide on how many cores (4, 6, 8, 12). Obviously there's a good jump in price from model to model. Yes there is a decent performance increase going from a quad-core 2006 to a quad-core 2010 Mac Pro (4 cores vs. 4 cores).

But if you're going to the trouble of getting a new computer…you might as well get more cores. Since if the software you use takes advantage of more cores…your work will run that much smoother/faster. So I would think that you would go with a 6 or 8 core model (12 core is going to be super pricey).

You also want to factor in future needs if you're going to keep this computer for a while. And although you mentioned having very specific purposes for this computer ("All About the Music")…you never know what the future will bring.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
There are ton's of choices.

Let me explain mine for some input.

I purchased several older mac pro's a 1.1 to start with then a 2.1 a month later then a 5.1 and i enjoy them all i honestly do the older mac pro's are nice because you have the option to upgrade and add more ram and more hard drive space to them.

Before you make your decision ask yourself these questions.

1. Photography: If you plan on extensive photography work what software are you planing to run.

main choices are:

Pixelmator: Availible in the mac app store works like photoshop elements and is nice for advance tuning of photo's

photoshop: Still used by a lot of people and still expensive to boot mostly for professional use

Gimp: A open source photo editor with a steep learning curve.

Aperture: all though apple is preparing to get rid of the support for this product it still has some impressive tools for photographers old and new.

Iphoto: Good for beginners.

Now ask your self what will i be using for editing because if you are using photoshop you would honestly want the faster machine if you plan on video editing in the future you might want final cut and are going to need the extra power.

I live by the motto if i have the money to purchase the faster and better model i should buy it now even if i am not going to use all that power right away.

Vs

Man i need a new machine after 2 years.

OP
Reaction score
I think that if you do decide to go with a Mac Pro 5,1…you need to decide on how many cores (4, 6, 8, 12). Obviously there's a good jump in price from model to model. Yes there is a decent performance increase going from a quad-core 2006 to a quad-core 2010 Mac Pro (4 cores vs. 4 cores).

But if you're going to the trouble of getting a new computer…you might as well get more cores. Since if the software you use takes advantage of more cores…your work will run that much smoother/faster. So I would think that you would go with a 6 or 8 core model (12 core is going to be super pricey).

- Nick

Thanks Nick, as far as pricey is concerned, I was "Watching" a 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core on eBay all weekend that sold today for $2250…That was out of my league when the bidding got over $1700 Check it out here… Apple 2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2 66GHz 12 Cores Xeon 64GB RAM 2TBX2 Blu Ray and Box 885909610440 | eBay

After doing some more research/homework, I think a 2010 Mac Pro 3.33Ghz 6 Core is what I'm looking for. I considered a 2010 2.8GHZ Quad with the upgraded processor to a 3.33 Ghz in mind, but OWC's price for the 3.33 Ghz 6 Core upgrade from a Quad 2.8 Ghz is waaaay too much right now for me...

I'd rather find a 3.33 Ghz 6 Core, pay the price, and keep it moving instead of buying a Quad 2.8, and then still have to shell out another $1000 to OWC to upgrade to the 6 Core 3.33Ghz.

I hope I misunderstood, or read the wrong thing on OWC's page, but I think I'll try to find the right 6 Core 3.33Ghz for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, as far as pricey is concerned, I was "Watching" a 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core on eBay all weekend that sold today for $2250…That was out of my league when the bidding got over $1700

I haven't been watching 12-core Mac Pro prices…but $2250 for a 12-core Mac Pro is less than I was expecting. But totally understandable if $2250 is above your budget.

After doing some more research/homework, I think a 2010 Mac Pro 3.33Ghz 6 Core is what I'm looking for.

I think that this is a really great choice for two important reasons:

1. The CPU benchmarks for the 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 8-core (2.4ghz) and 6-core (3.33ghz) are very close (when talking about computing tasks that use all available cores).

2. Many times things we do DO NOT use all available cores. Many times only 2 cores may be used. So in this situation with the Mac Pro models we are talking about…2 cores x 2.4ghz (the 8-core Mac Pro) will be slower than 2 cores x 3.33ghz (the 6-core Mac Pro).

Now what would be interesting is…how much are these two 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 models selling for on eBay (6-core x 3.33ghz vs. 8-core x 2.4ghz).

There is one thing I don't like about the 6-core x 3.33ghz model and that's that it only has 4 ram slots (the 8-core 2.4ghz model has 8 ram slots). So max. ram for the 6-core is 48gig…max. ram for the 8-core is 126gig. But in reality…if 48gig is way more ram than you would ever need…then the 4 ram slots is really not a limitation or deal breaker.:)

I considered a 2010 2.8GHZ Quad with the upgraded processor to a 3.33 Ghz in mind, but OWC's price for the 3.33 Ghz 6 Core upgrade from a Quad 2.8 Ghz is waaaay too much right now for me...

I'd rather find a 3.33 Ghz 6 Core, pay the price, and keep it moving instead of buying a Quad 2.8, and then still have to shell out another $1000 to OWC to upgrade to the 6 Core 3.33Ghz.

I hope I misunderstood, or read the wrong thing on OWC's page, but I think I'll try to find the right 6 Core 3.33Ghz for me.

The price for the Mac Pro CPU upgrades from OWC are VERY expensive. This option is really only for someone who already owns a Mac Pro…and needs an upgrade. This isn't a cost-effective way for someone buying a used Mac Pro (like you)…to buy a "slower" model…and then upgrade it via OWC (not a lower "price path" overall).

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Hey Nick, thanks for reassuring me that I'm on the right path with my quest for a 6 Core 3.33Ghz 5,1 Mac Pro. I considered a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 6 Core 3.33Ghz last night, but the seller wouldn't provide the Serial Number, so I didn't bid on it.

If someone did the upgrade, why not just say so as I've seen others being honest in their listings. If someone can't/won't provide a Serial Number as proof that it is the configuration from factory, and not an upgraded one, I tend to look elsewhere.

Having said that, the one I'm referring to sold last night for $1075...not bad I guess...I just would rather know if it was modded or not...let me make that decision if I want a modded Pac Pro or not...don't make that decision for me.

In any event, this the one that ended on eBay last night.
Apple Mac Pro 5 1 July 2010 3 33 GHz 6 Core 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD ATI 5770 885909610440 | eBay

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If someone did the upgrade...

Are you talking about CPU upgrades from OWC? If so…I really think this is pretty uncommon…and since the 6-core 3.33ghz was a stock configuration from Apple.

I would bet that (conservatively) 95% of the units you're seeing for sale are stock units. And probably in reality…it's probably higher (like 98-99%). Those OWC upgrades are pretty expensive…thus very few folks would be doing it.

And remember. If you receive a unit…and something is wrong with it you find unacceptable…you return it.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, CPU upgrades from OWC and the similar companies/independent technicians...check out this listing that "Honestly" states that it is an upgraded unit.

HELLO…this is what this guy does.;) He's a reseller…and what he's doing is upgrading Mac Pro's. He take's relatively low cost older Mac Pro's…purchases & installs the upgraded cpu's (at a very low cost to him)…updates the Mac Pro firmware…then sells them as upgraded units making a pretty healthy profit.

He only includes the statement…"Please note - My machines, like nearly all other 6-Core Mac Pro towers currently for sale on eBay, are upgraded units."…in order to validate what he's doing…and get folks to purchase his upgraded units (instead of other units) in order to make more money for himself.

Did you happen to look at his other auctions?? He's got 28 more active eBay auctions…just about all of them are upgraded 6-core or 12-core Mac Pro's (that's he upgraded himself…just like OWC does). And he includes that statement in all of them!!!

I can almost guarantee you…other folks selling their personal 6-core or 12-core 2010 Mac Pro 5,1…bought that unit from Apple configured that way.

I'm not necessarily saying that what this guy is doing is wrong (the cpu upgrade part). But what I do find offensive is his statement suggesting that "nearly all" other units for sale on eBay are upgraded (6-core or 12-core).

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Totally understand what he's doing, I actually used his link as an example of an "honest" seller. I'm not bashing what he does at all because he's "honest" about it. I've read about folks who weren't so lucky, and found out after the fact that they had a modded Mac Pro.

Hence my mentioning of someone who refuses to give up a Serial Number so I could read the specs.

I also agree about the offensive part where he generalizes "nearly all" other units for sale on eBay are upgraded (6-core or 12-core).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Totally understand what he's doing, I actually used his link as an example of an "honest" seller. I'm not bashing what he does at all because he's "honest" about it. I've read about folks who weren't so lucky, and found out after the fact that they had a modded Mac Pro.

Ok…no problems.:) I'm pretty sure this guys in the minority (as far as sellers of Mac Pro 5,1's on eBay selling modded Mac Pro of this type). But because he's selling a lot (or at least has a lot of active auctions for them)…it may seem like there are a lot of modded Mac Pro's for sale. When in reality…only 1, 2, or 3 eBay sellers are responsible for all the modded Mac Pro auctions.

Hence my mentioning of someone who refuses to give up a Serial Number so I could read the specs.

Believe it or not…the folks that are refusing to give their serial numbers are probably the honest folks (folks selling their personal unmodded Mac Pro's)…who got them genuinely configured from Apple as a Mac Pro 5,1 6-core. They probably think that if someone is asking for a serial number…that the person asking is actually up to something nefarious (so they don't give you the serial number). It's actually not that common for folks to provide serial numbers (or be asked for them).

A "professional" person (like this eBay guy)…is probably more than willing to give serial numbers…because he knows (and mentions in his auctions) that he's upgrading/modding Mac Pro's.

I also agree about the offensive part where he generalizes "nearly all" other units for sale on eBay are upgraded (6-core or 12-core).

Yup. He's just playing a little psychology game to drive more buyers to his auctions...rather than folks purchasing from other auctions.

Hey again. I find nothing wrong with what he is doing…as long as the units are stable & durable. I would probably be more than willing to purchase one of his units (if I could save a bunch of bucks doing it)…versus purchasing a "true" Mac Pro 5,1 (6-core or 12-core) configured from Apple.

But if his price is only a little less (than Apple configured units)…then I would purchase the Apple unit.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. I'm not faulting you for wanting to be careful (with the serial number requests from sellers). When you're spending this kind of money you should do whatever makes you feel best/safest!:)

What I am saying is…asking "novice" sellers of computers for their computers serial number is probably "freaking them out"!:( This is not a very common thing to be asked for. They probably think that this info is as personal as being asked for their drivers license number, SSN, credit card number, etc….from a complete stranger. Thus they are reluctant to give it.

If you swap a few emails with them…and establish a sort of relationship with them (and explain why you want the serial number). Then they may be more willing to give it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.