Mac pro 5.1 not as speeds as i thought it would be

Reaction score
So i have an iMac 24", a core 2. 2.8 (7,1), 4GB, with a Velociraptor.. I wanted something faster and stronger so i went and off eBay bought a Mac Pro 5.1, Westmere, dual Hexacore CPU (12 Core/ 24 VC) with 16GB, and a Radeon 5770. Both are running Yosemite now (they were Mavericks)..

I have to say i think i may have been expecting too much.. The Mac Pro is not as "snappy" as i thought it would be.. Now i will probably put an SSD in it (it has a 1TB 7200 Sata) which will be a big boost, but i dunno, it seems kinda laggy..

Im also running at 2560x1440, i dunno if that has anything to do with it (it shouldn't)..

Its not like Dog crap slow.. i think i was expecting too much. Thoughts?

(Putt this way, it feels no faster then the iMac).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its not like Dog crap slow.. i think i was expecting too much. Thoughts?

(Putt this way, it feels no faster then the iMac).

The Mac Pro feels no faster than the iMac because you're not running software that takes advantage of all 12 cores (24 threads). BELIEVE ME...a 12-core Mac Pro is MUCH faster than an old core 2 duo iMac!!!

This is the mistake many folks make buying a Mac Pro. There aren't really that many software apps that are written to take advantage of all the cores in a Mac Pro.

Thus an old core 2 duo iMac (in some respects) can be almost as good as a Mac Pro if only a couple cores are being used.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
I know overall the system is faster. but i thought the OS in general would move faster, be more responsive etc.. Its not.. Dunno, like i said, i think i expected more of a fluid, responsive machine.. Its not bad, but for the $.. nothing like i expected i guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hate to tell you this but the OS will be nearly identical as Nick suggests the software is not fully uitiliising the cores. If you wish to see that get into Lighthouse or Photoshop.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this but the OS will be nearly identical as Nick suggests the software is not fully uitiliising the cores. If you wish to see that get into Lighthouse or Photoshop.

Yea im gonna be using the machine to run my webshow/stream, so maybe in that i will see some benefits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course the problem will be you don't know how the much faster than the iMac the Mac Pro will be on those programs?

And after using a number of Velociraptors, I could never tell any difference between 10,000rpm and 7200rpm. Now with an SSD that is a different story!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know overall the system is faster. but i thought the OS in general would move faster, be more responsive etc.. Its not.. Dunno, like i said, i think i expected more of a fluid, responsive machine.. Its not bad, but for the $.. nothing like i expected i guess.

Depends on how fast your iMac is. The Mac Pro could be much faster…but when talking milliseconds faster…at some point the human body doesn't recognize or detect the increase in speed.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And Nick the older the human body gets...................the harder it is to detect or remember as we oldies have so much knowledge crammed in our brains from seventy to eighty years of experience!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And Nick the older the human body gets...................the harder it is to detect or remember as we oldies have so much knowledge crammed in our brains from seventy to eighty years of experience!

Yes sir!:) I think that I'm starting to feel those effects myself!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well my lad the bad news is it ain't gonna improve!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ha ha. I guess that what's happens when we get "over the hill"!;) I'm going to try to keep smiling as much as possible. But not so much they try to put me in a mental hospital!lol!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

That's where the gals have it over us Harry. My wife and I do volunteer work at several nursing homes in our area. Guess what gender most of the occupants are? We spoke with a lady last Sunday who is 99 years old. She still sharp as a razor and looks great. She said she gave up her driver's license only two years ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Charlie I will give you three guesses who had had to go out to work for fifty odd years and worn out first? Mind you things may be different with modern parents and 'house husbands'.

Not that I can say much being a widower and against the odds as it were?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

If you running games its likely you will not notice a difference. Most games only really use about 2 cores and are more dependent on GPU. This is why many hardcore gaming rigs only use Dual Core i5s, the normally offer more overclockability also. Letting them run them get more speed per core.

Now if you run something like Final Cut, then your really going to see speed improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Ha ha. I guess that what's happens when we get "over the hill"!;) ...
- Nick

LOL,, I think "the hill" ran me over and didn't even bother to stop and see what he hit!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.