MBP 2.2Ghz and MacPro 2.8ghz Octo
Hello Guys,

Ok, here's my setup:

Mac Pro(3,1)2.8Ghz Octo
Apple Compact Wireless Keyboard
Wireless Mighty Mouse

And the Problem:

My DVD drive's tray will not open.

If I hit the eject key on my keyboard, the eject symbol pops up, but the tray does not eject. If I try it again, no matter how long I hold the eject key, the symbol will not show up, and the tray still does not come out!

Now, I know that the key is not faulty because I can shut down or put it to sleep with the key combos that include the eject key.

I've restarted and it has worked/ejected right after I restart, but it's almost like if the disc spins down, or the drive just sits without being ejected, it falls asleep or freezes.

Also, if I go into System Profiler to check the DVD drive, once selected ('Disc Burning") in the menu, System Profiler just sits there with the spinning beach ball!

Is there a way to 'hard' open the DVD tray?

So, any tips?

Thanks in advance! :D

-CW

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Ok, here's my setup:

Mac Pro(3,1)2.8Ghz Octo
Apple Compact Wireless Keyboard
Wireless Mighty Mouse

And the Problem:

My DVD drive's tray will not open.

If I hit the eject key on my keyboard, the eject symbol pops up, but the tray does not eject. If I try it again, no matter how long I hold the eject key, the symbol will not show up, and the tray still does not come out!

Now, I know that the key is not faulty because I can shut down or put it to sleep with the key combos that include the eject key.

I've restarted and it has worked/ejected right after I restart, but it's almost like if the disc spins down, or the drive just sits without being ejected, it falls asleep or freezes.

Also, if I go into System Profiler to check the DVD drive, once selected ('Disc Burning") in the menu, System Profiler just sits there with the spinning beach ball!

Is there a way to 'hard' open the DVD tray?

So, any tips?

Thanks in advance! :D

-CW
Hi there,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds to me as if your optical drive has died.
As far as "hard" opening the drive, you could always try pushing a straightened paper clip or something very similar into the small hole which is located just under the drive tray. This is designed as an emergency eject and all you need to do is push the paper clip in until you meet a little resistance and the tray will pop open far enough for you to pry open with your fingers.

Hope this helps. :)

OP
cwphoto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey,
Thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure the disc drive still does work, as it opens sometimes before it has 'fallen asleep' and reads discs just fine.

Actually, just now I tapped the eject key, it opened, and tapped it again and it closed. So it almost seems like it's rectified. Weird.

It could be some screwy disc permissions, or a Snow Leopard bug.

We'll see if it keeps playing nice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
You can try using opening Terminal and typing in "drutil eject" without quotes. That will do a force eject on the tray.

I'd try repairing permissions on OS X too, booting from the SL DVD.

BTW, do we know each other?

OP
cwphoto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Marty!
Yes, I believe we do! :) It's a small internet isn't it?

I actually seem to have the 'problem' all sorted, although I will probably repair the permissions anyway. Not certain what the issue was caused by, as the tray seems to be behaving fine, of course, ever since I posted this thread. Figures...

Hope you're enjoying that MBP. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Ha ha, great stuff. :D

Really happy to hear your enjoying the MP. You'll need to get a pic of your setup on here so I can see her new home!

OP
cwphoto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Totally enjoying it!

I would post a pic, but I rather sheepishly have only a Samsung SyncMaster 957df CRT monster that I got for free...So saving up for an Apple or Eizo display in the not too distant future, I hope! You're probably thinking, 'Ahhh! My Lamborghini with a 1970 Fiat body kit?!!' and rightfully so, lol! Me too!

Thanks again for your help and service. It's extremely appreciated!

C

chas_m

Not certain what the issue was caused by, as the tray seems to be behaving fine, of course, ever since I posted this thread.

We called that "magic technician syndrome" at my shop. Problem disappears or is irreproducible the moment a technician arrives on the scene. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Totally enjoying it!

I would post a pic, but I rather sheepishly have only a Samsung SyncMaster 957df CRT monster that I got for free...So saving up for an Apple or Eizo display in the not too distant future, I hope! You're probably thinking, 'Ahhh! My Lamborghini with a 1970 Fiat body kit?!!' and rightfully so, lol! Me too!

Ah, not at all I love CRTs. I still use and love a 2002 22" Dell branded Sony Trinitron at work for photo/graphics work.

Here she was when I had her, connected to 30" ACD - probably miss that most...

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/bigpunter/WorkingArea2.jpg

OP
cwphoto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, this CRT certainly has better colour than the ViewSonic flat screen that I ordered, and have returned. Though not as nice as an Apple display, but pretty good. At least I can retouch and process photos on it!

I like your office! Your desk space is perfect! I hope to get mine that minimalistic eventually...too scattered as of now. I'll get a pic up eventually...Honest ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.