MAC PRO 2008 Temperatures

Reaction score
Hi I recently bought a 2008 mac pro 3,1 (2x 2.8ghz quad-core intel xeon) and it came with 8GB ram. I am using this for music school and so all of my teachers suggested I max out the Ram. I bought all matching ram and now my mac reads 14gb (6 x2gb and 2 x 1gb). I realized that I made a mistake of buying ram that didnt have the big heat sinks but I am wondering if this will really have any barring on my system.

Right now my computer seems to be running hotter than when it had the 8gb, which I understand is normal but what is TOO hot? could this cause some damage?

here are my temp stats with Temperature gauge:

DM5mhX.png

oSYy2i.png

puIu01.png

aej8hJ.png

I also want to note that these temperatures are before using any other applications other than my chrome browser and the system has been on for around 10 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your temps are completely fine. I usually look at them in Celsius and start worrying when you end up constantly sitting at over 110C (or 230F)...

Your CPUs, for example, are around 67C and that's fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A great plan would be open it up and give it a good blow out using the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner with a rubber sticky beak, not a metal tip in case you touch anything. Pay particualr attention to the front fan to the fore of the CPU's and the rear fan behind the memory cage.

Mac Pros have an extremely efficient cooling system but they do drag in the dust.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Believe it or not...I'm actually monitoring the temps of my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 at the moment.;)

Firstly...your ambient air temp is about 12°F higher than mine (66°F vs. 78°F)...ambient air temp certainly is a factor in the overall temps.

Mac Pro 1,1's and Mac Pro 3,1's are designed very similarly inside...so a fairly good comparision. All of my Mac Pro's ram slots are filled as well.

Currently my Mac Pro's ram temps range from 120°F to 145°F (all my ram does have the official heat sinks on them). And both cpu heat sink temps are 86°F.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.