Mac Pro 2008 Buyers - I'd like to hear from you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
However, I also don't want one of those scenarios down the line - you know the one - where the computer has been fine for two years then all of a sudden there are mysterious bugs traced back to incompatible RAM or RAM that doesn't play nice with Apple's core RAM. If RAM with the special heat-spreaders that the new Mac Pros require were significantly cheaper than Apple's RAM....

You could easily run into one of those scenarios in the future with Apple RAM. Apple doesn't make the RAM they sell. They've only officially OK'd it for use in the Mac Pro. I am not sure how long the warranty is on any of the RAM either, I suspect as long as the warranty is on the computer itself. Places like OWC sell their Mac Pro RAM with a lifetime warranty. If any RAM compatibility should happen or a DIMM goes bad, I would rather have the OWC stuff.
The oversized heat spreader is used to keep the fans running at lower speeds so the computer is quieter and so forth. Apple admits that's why those larger spreaders are used. You could run RAM with the cheap $2 spreader but your RAM will probably run hotter and the fans will run faster.
I've never heard a bad review ever for the OWC RAM. With the lifetime warranty and incredible prices compared to Apple's, It's a non-issue for me. But, I don't need more than the 2GB installed when mines was ordered. It may be a few years before I need the upgrade.

OP
S
Reaction score
You could easily run into one of those scenarios in the future with Apple RAM. Apple doesn't make the RAM they sell. They've only officially OK'd it for use in the Mac Pro. I am not sure how long the warranty is on any of the RAM either, I suspect as long as the warranty is on the computer itself. Places like OWC sell their Mac Pro RAM with a lifetime warranty. If any RAM compatibility should happen or a DIMM goes bad, I would rather have the OWC stuff.
The oversized heat spreader is used to keep the fans running at lower speeds so the computer is quieter and so forth. Apple admits that's why those larger spreaders are used. You could run RAM with the cheap $2 spreader but your RAM will probably run hotter and the fans will run faster.
I've never heard a bad review ever for the OWC RAM. With the lifetime warranty and incredible prices compared to Apple's, It's a non-issue for me. But, I don't need more than the 2GB installed when mines was ordered. It may be a few years before I need the upgrade.

Thanks Bry. Yes. I'm well aware that Apple does not make their RAM. Crucial tells me their parent company Micron Technology makes RAM for Apple but I doubt that this is an exclusive arrangement. That would mean Apple also buys from other sources it would seem. As for warranties. I suspect Apple's RAM is covered under their one year warranty and that is it. Other sources like OWC and Crucial and others do, indeed, as you say, give a lifetime warranty on their RAM. So if they have lower pricing than Apple, a lifetime warranty and a good reputation buying from them should be a no-brainer.

SNazz123

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.